Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Guest Guest

Default Misuse Presentations creatively?

Hi All,
    yesterday I asked for your opinons on creating a kind of Blog with native Xara-Tools.
    Answers were negative - but I could imagine that the word Blog already implies a lot of things,
    which quite obviously can not be done inside Xara.

Now lets call it Diary, Notebook, updatable Presentation.
    No Comments, no Categories, no Updating from the Web-Browser, no dynamic Layout.

Just Text and Graphics done by a single Person.
    Maybe by creatively misusing the new Presentation Feature, so that every Diary-Entry
    got one Presentation-Page?
    Would you see reasons why this was a seriously bad idea?
    • Could Storage/File-Size get a real problem when the Diary grows?
    • Would it be hard to split up into chunks for years or months
    • could Search-Engines be a problem (that they would not be able to find its contents...)
    • Couldn't one do a suitable Menu for it?
    • Couldn't Google do a custom Keyword-Search inside of such a Presentation?
    • Anything else?

Thanks again for all Input!

Default Re: Misuse Presentations creatively?

I always associate a blog with also accepting comments, so WD wouldn't help with that.

If you think you can do it, go ahead. If it doesn't work, you won't have wasted much.

Personally, with lots of perfectly good blogging systems out there, I'm not sure why you would go this route. Perhaps a case of having a hammer (WD) and trying to turn everything into a nail perhaps?

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Personally, with lots of perfectly good blogging systems out there, I'm not sure why you would go this route. Perhaps a case of having a hammer (WD) and trying to turn everything into a nail perhaps?
    That's my reason - I don't like Blogging Systems or CMS' - I've used them and know that they are all not at all my Cup of Coffee.
    I find Blog-Editors terribly limiting graphically and also don't like creating content Online, using a small text field which looks pretty much like the Input field I currently use to answer you.
    If I imagined having to use such a Tool in order to create larger parts of my Website I feel my interest fading away before even having started.

But - leaving our different perception of things away - you would not see any technical limits for what I have in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by polyxo View Post
    you would not see any technical limits for what I have in mind?
    You're essentially making a diary. You don't need to use the presentations - just lay out your blog as you see fit. Typically blogs have content on the left and right hand side are links to other blog entries.

Xara can mimic that.

This stuff is easy to do. Just give it a go.

Guest Guest

I was actually considering using Presentations as one could give each Entry a separate Page - which might make later editing easier.

Or how would you go about if a single page contained ten Entries and you wanted to edit Post 3 so that it gets longer or shorter?
    One then had to to nudge every following Entry into Place again, no? And how would very long (Blog-like) pages load?
    Does that happen all at once or would only visible portions get loaded?
    I guess I wouldn't really need Sidebars but some kind of chronological Navigation was required. Some sort of Categories by Tags was nice too;
    here I again thought that Presentations might have advantages - so that one could maybe get the Presentation to only show Pages with
    the Tag "Apple" on it...

Quote Originally Posted by polyxo View Post
    I was actually considering using Presentations as one could give each Entry a separate Page - which might make later editing easier.

Or how would you go about if a single page contained ten Entries and you wanted to edit Post 3 so that it gets longer or shorter?
    Most blogs I visit have a page per blog post. Usually content followed by comments.

I again thought that Presentations might have advantages - so that one could maybe get the Presentation to only show Pages with
    the Tag "Apple" on it...
    I think you're hoping rather than knowing what would be possible. I am sceptical.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I think you're hoping rather than knowing what would be possible. I am sceptical.
    That is correct and the reason I post. I'm asking for Advice from People who know the Program a lot better than I do.
    Even if one hasn't done a kind of Diary I'm thinking of (and even finds this idea absurd), I could imagine that People who've created Sites
    with numerous Pages with Xara have some organizational hints for me. I' thought I'd rather ask before I starting...

Be bold.