Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: MacOS X building instructions

Let me add that I just discovered that I have

/usr/local/lib/libwx_macud-2.5.3.dylib

but not the version 2.6.0 that is being sought in the make.

I did find:

/Users/gpetty/wx/v263/build-unicode-debug/lib/libwx_macud-2.6.0.dylib

I assume the build should be looking for that one; I don't know why it isn't.
    IP

[QUOTE=gpetty;168410]Once again I was an unwitting victim of the path order ... I had automake 1.9 installed in /sw/bin, but it was hitting version 1.6 in /usr/bin first.

I've switched the path order in my .cshrc file, .../QUOTE]

fink should provide you with a script like:
    Code:
    source /sw/bin/init.sh
    and instructions concerning the .rc files. (Are you really using the tsch?).

Ben
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gpetty View Post
    Let me add that I just discovered that I have /usr/local/lib/libwx_macud-2.5.3.dylib but not the version 2.6.0 that is being sought in the make.
    This was provided by Apple, FWIW I would suggest removing it (and all other traces of wxWidgets 2.5.x), but it was a pleasant surprise to find this library, and it would be very helpful to this project if future versions of MacOS has wxWidgets 2.6, 2.8 and so on.

... /Users/gpetty/wx/v263/build-unicode-debug/lib/libwx_macud-2.6.0.dylib
    I assume the build should be looking for that one; I don't know why it isn't.
    You want the --with-wx-config flag in your arguments to the configure script. See wxOil compiling issues for an example, and the Wx-Config page for more information about wx-config

Ben
    IP

Once again I was an unwitting victim of the path order ... I had automake 1.9 installed in /sw/bin, but it was hitting version 1.6 in /usr/bin first.
    Whilst having 2 automake's on your system isn't generally a good thing, and you have probably fixed the immediate problem, for future reference you can probably do (under bash, I don't know csh):
    AUTOMAKE=/path/to/automake AUTOCONF=/path/to/autoconf AUTORECONF=/path/to/autoreconf (etc.) ./configure <options>

I know the FreeBSD guys use this.

Alex
    IP

[QUOTE=BPFowler;168440]
    Once again I was an unwitting victim of the path order ... I had automake 1.9 installed in /sw/bin, but it was hitting version 1.6 in /usr/bin first.

I've switched the path order in my .cshrc file, .../QUOTE]

fink should provide you with a script like:
    Code:
    source /sw/bin/init.sh
    and instructions concerning the .rc files.
    Interesting. When I installed Fink + Fink Commander yesterday, I don't recall it pointing out any of this when I fired it up for the first time. I'm new to Macs (as of a few days ago), but so far at least, my experience had been that when you install a new (precompiled) program, it runs, and there's no need to dig into docs unless you run across something you don't understand. In every obvious respect at least, Fink Commander had been working fine for me so far.

(Are you really using the tsch?).

Ben
    Yes. It's what I've been using for 20 years, and no one had ever offered a reason why I should change. It gave me Emacs-style command-line editing and other benefits before other shells I knew about had that. If there's another shell (bash?) that I'd be better off with, I'm certainly willing to consider it, as long as the change isn't too painful.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by BPFowler View Post
    This was provided by Apple, FWIW I would suggest removing it (and all other traces of wxWidgets 2.5.x), but it was a pleasant surprise to find this library, and it would be very helpful to this project if future versions of MacOS has wxWidgets 2.6, 2.8 and so on.

You want the --with-wx-config flag in your arguments to the configure script. See wxOil compiling issues for an example, and the Wx-Config page for more information about wx-config

Ben
    Here's the exact line I used, taking from my shell command history:

./configure --enable-debug --with-wx-config=/Users/gpetty/wx/v263/build-unicode-debug/wx-config

This in turn was taken verbatim from the "Xara LX Build for Mac" page, only substituting the slightly modified path to my wx-config
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by BPFowler View Post
    After 20 years of muddling through builds of diverse software packages under various flavors of Unix, I'm amazed that modern build scripts still don't automatically check for, and offer advice about, conflicting versions of and/or paths to previously installed packages. Especially since scripts like configure seem to check for literally everything else.

I think the inevitable pain, suffering, and frustrated cursing that accompanies the build of almost any moderately complicated package is one important reason why Unix and its variants still haven't caught on with most non-expert users (I'm probably a major exception). The worst part is never knowing whether success will come in 5 minutes or 5 days. Or never. At some point, you make a guess as to the odds that the additional time invested will ultimately pay for itself, and you either push on or else go do something you KNOW will have a successful outcome, like mowing your lawn.

Grant
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by abligh View Post
    Whilst having 2 automake's on your system isn't generally a good thing, and you have probably fixed the immediate problem, for future reference you can probably do (under bash, I don't know csh):
    AUTOMAKE=/path/to/automake AUTOCONF=/path/to/autoconf AUTORECONF=/path/to/autoreconf (etc.) ./configure <options>

I know the FreeBSD guys use this.

Alex
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll admit that before this particular effort, I had never even consciously encountered Automake and its kin before. There was make, and for a while there was imake, and then I took a long break from installing anything but Linux RPMs.
    IP

Update: After clearing out the supplied Wx-widgets 2.5 and re-running config, autoreconf, etc., I ran make again in the XaraLX directory and ran into the same error as before, which I ended up solving with the following kludge:

% sudo ln -s /Users/gpetty/wx/v263/build-unicode-debug/lib/libwx_macud-2.6.0.dylib /usr/local/lib/libwx_macud-2.6.0.dylib

That seemed to work, as make then proceeded to run for a very long time, successfully making several large libraries (kernel, tools, etc.). But then this happened:

ranlib libTools.a
    Making all in po
    Makefile:431: warning: overriding commands for target `XaraLX.pot-update'
    Makefile:155: warning: ignoring old commands for target `XaraLX.pot-update'
    Makefile:431: warning: overriding commands for target `XaraLX.pot'
    Makefile:184: warning: ignoring old commands for target `XaraLX.pot'
    sed -e '/^#/d' remove-potcdate.sin > t-remove-potcdate.sed
    mv t-remove-potcdate.sed remove-potcdate.sed
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../wxOil/xrc/xaralx.po', needed by `XaraLX.pot'. Stop.
    make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Note that there don't seem to be source code or object files of any kind in ../wxOil/xrc

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated ... I feel I must be getting close.
    IP

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated ... I feel I must be getting close.
    Run configure with the following additional commands:
    --disable-international --disable-svnversion

The former will disable building of the internationalization resources (your resultant file will still be internationalizable). --disable-svnversion will disable building a header with the svn version number in (sometimes causes problems).

The next challenge will be at link stage.

I hope after all this you aren't going to be too disappointed when it doesn't work as well as on Linux. We have some endian problems we know we need to sort out on ppc MacOS, plus (no doubt) some other issues.

I don't quite understand why you need the symbolic link: if it's finding the correct wx-config, then
    wx-config --libs
    (running it with the right wx-config) should return a fully specified path to the correct library.

Alex
    Last edited by abligh; 14 August 2006 at 03:28 PM.
    IP