Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Do you use an art pad?

I've had a tablet forever and mine is just a big coaster. I can't get used to the drawing parameters after changing it many times. If you do choose a tablet, make sure you practice, practice, practice with it until it's comfortable for you, else you'll just have a large coaster too

Have much more feel and expression with paper pencil and pen. I have a tablet but a vector programme doesn't have the same need to use as a bitmap programme so it was a waste of money for me.

I find that I can layout my drawings as quick using pen and paper, scan it in and the use the mouse to trace my drawing than starting from scratch and using the mouse. Xara lacks the brush effects that you can get from say a bitmap programme. Also I dont know about you but when I draw the paper is revolved around so many times during the sketching process it is so hard to use the same effect with a tablet. So my tablet and mouse is relegated to use with the laptop as a selecting and pointing tool as I don't have the self discipline to use the tablet.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I use a mouse for drawing. I bought a Wacom Graphire II years ago but used it very little. When I bought a new computer I never hooked up the tablet.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by bev mcquain View Post
    Zeb said:
    "saving my pennies for a Wacom Cintiq 12WX"

Zeb;
    Drop everything, go into debt, steal if you have to, but Get the Cintiq 12WX !
    It is a fantastic piece of technology. I wouldn't want to be without mine.
    Bev
    Yeah, Bev, it's only 99,900 pennies.

I used to use only the mouse, until one of the threads of Talkgraphics tipped me off to the 'hold down Escape' trick! Now I use the tablet for my cartoons and comic strips and it saves me a LOT of time

Manoj
    http://www.inkbugdesign.com

So what is the 'hold down the escape key' trick?

Hi Nancy,

In Xtreme the Escape key forces termination of the current drawing operation. This would start a new line rather than a continuation of an existing line.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Ok, got it...thanks. That's a key I need to get used to using.

I'm happy drawing with both a mouse or a tablet. Generally I prefer the tablet, the mouse usually sits unloved next to the keyboard. But there are issues. The rocker switch on the pen can be difficult to grasp/use and the previously mentioned "slippery" surface can even lead to some horrendous mistakes at times. The paper overlay's a good workaround.

I previously had an A5 pad but the pen gave up the ghost (very expensive to replace) so I purchased an A6 Bamboo. Strangely I get on better with the smaller pad.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I switched to using a tablet (various Wacoms, including Graphire, Bamboo and Sapphire, never the large/extortionately priced ones) some 10 years ago after constant all-day mouse work started playing havoc with my right wrist. In fact I never use a mouse now, preferring the pen/Wacom for even just getting around Windows. But now I see that some of you renowned artists are voting in favour of the mouse, which makes me even more in awe of your work. Maybe I've been missing something over these years.

Jon