Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guest Guest

Default Re: right aligned web-page

That's the trouble with open forums, people often don't do as you expect or want them to. You might not be interested, but others may be, or they can just politely ignore my comment.
    I just preferred to get a technical solution if someone feels invited to spend a thought on this.
    How about a new thread on that matter?

Maybe clearer for you, but it has no relevance to how a page is aligned.
    It definedly has a relevance as stated several times before in this thread.
    If margin is 100% then a centrally aligned page gives you two times 50% which may or may be not what you want.
    Off-center gives you 100%.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I forgot to add the smile and wink emoticons
    ok, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by polyxo View Post
    It definedly has a relevance as stated several times before in this thread.
    If margin is 100% then a centrally alligned pages gives you two times 50% which may or may be not what you want.
    Off center gives you 100%.
    I was talking about internet speed. I have no idea what the quote above is intended to explain (and I do understand margins), but no matter.

Carry on without me.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    I was talking about internet speed. I have no idea what the quote above is intended to explain (and I do understand margins), but no matter.

Carry on without me.

It was by no means my intention to offend you.
    However: I think we really look at things from very different angles.

I am saying that in case one wants to use the page-background for Design moving
    the page off-Center gives you more contigouos space to work with.
    Please say that we can agree on this.

With Xara, the space you can work with is fixed. It's the same space regardless of whether it's left-aligned, centred, or right-aligned; it's simply that Xara builds fixed size layouts.

You can certainly align things right, but I fail to see how that affects the design area that is available. The best you can do is to use design elements that trick the user into thinking that margin space is filled (background elements and such).

It's a design choice to try and right-align but it's not one that increases the available contiguous space. The design size in Xara is fixed and the spare margin space is dependant on the browser window and is unusable for active elements as far as out-of-the-box Xara goes.

Lets wait and see what you come up with.

Guest Guest

Pauland, may I ask you to look at the Site I already posted as an example here?
    Imagine your goal was to show something lenghy (a bycicle or so) on the page background. What was the more suitable option to show the Bycicle as large as
    possible and not broken in parts/occluded by the Page itself? Centered or off-Center?
    If you still think that there's no difference on a Standard 16:10 or 16:9 screen I think it's hard to go on discussing that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by polyxo View Post
    I am saying that in case one wants to use the page-background for Design moving
    the page off-Center gives you more contigouos space to work with.
    What you are actually talking about is the browser background (the viewport) rather than the 'page' background yes?
    This is called the pasteboard in Xara (a term used before Xara could create websites) and is what ends up as whitespace in the browser window.
    Yes, this 'pasteboard' can be used for a tiled background texture or even an image - but it's technically not the 'page' content area.
    The page content area is fixed in the centre as Paul explained earlier, but - with the left aligned page tweak you can have it hug the left edge of the browser window (viewport).
    Having the page content area hugging the right edge of the browser viewport is likely possible with some really funky scripting but personally I see it as neither useful or aesthetically pleasing. I can't find any examples on line (some may exist, I don't know) so I think that's the general consensus.
    Of course, I accept that you might want to tinker with the idea to see how it works and looks for yourself

Polyxo, I understand the proposition.

Sites aligned to an edge can let large background elements be seen. There have been some sites designed that way that I thought were quite stunning, but invariably they need to go for less clutter in their active elements so that the full page images/design can be showcased. Yes it can look good.

Whether a site is aligned for such purposes to the left or right, doesn't matter - it doesn't really increase the available design space for Xara, it just allows the designer to incorporate and feature background images as part of the design.

As for right-alignment? It has no intrinsic advantage, design-wise to left-alignment, and definite disadvantages that would need to be overcome by rather a good designer.

Anyway, if you find a way to do it with Xara, we will be looking forward to seeing the result!

Guest Guest

What you are actually talking about is the browser background (the viewport) rather than the 'page' background yes?
    This is called the pasteboard in Xara (a term used before Xara could create websites) and is what ends up as whitespace in the browser window.
    Yes, that's what I mean. Sorry for mixing up names. Thought my sample communicated what I mean.
    Yes, this 'pasteboard' can be used for a tiled background texture or even an image - but it's technically not the 'page' content area.
    Well, it's visible - that's all what matters to me

The page content area is fixed in the centre as Paul explained earlier, but - with the left aligned page tweak you can have it hug the left edge of the browser window (viewport).
    Having the page content area hugging the right edge of the browser viewport is likely possible with some really funky scripting but personally I see it as neither useful or aesthetically pleasing. I can't find any examples on line (some may exist, I don't know) so I think that's the general consensus.
    May I remind you of your own Signature Doing something new often has to do with break with some sorts of consensus.
    I at least find that left aligned sample-Page conceptually very convincing and would not see how that wouldn't work the other way round.
    But actually I would not do anything new: Right aligned pages seem relatively common in areas of the world where one reads from right to left.
    Last edited by polyxo; 01 May 2012 at 01:21 PM.

Guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Anyway, if you find a way to do it with Xara...
    Well - and that exactly was all I wanted to discuss

I could have imagined all the doubts and convention - matters beforehand and wanted to avoid wasting time with that.
    This is not intended impolite, it's just being focused. I don't want to convince anyone in this matter but I also don't want to get convinced either.