Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Default Re: The January 2012 Tutorial Discussion

Gare,
    Here it is my attempt to create the object without copy it from a picture and trying to think where lights and shadows should be.
    I'm not sure about getting it, any comment and advice is more than really appreciated.
    Best regards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dodecaedro.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	86807  
    Javier

That's pretty amazing! Beautiful!

I use this word very, very sparingly - that is awesome, Javier
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by jvila View Post
    Gare,
    Here it is my attempt to create the object without copy it from a picture
    "attempt" means "to try".

What you did, Javier, is "accomplish"!

It is obvious from the image above that you understand reflections, transparency, shading, the Fresnel effect of light accumulating like is does with a lens, and perspective in the scene you reproduced.

Overall, your work is outstanding, and you get +20!

Advice?

1.) It's an icosahedron, and your file calls it a dodecahedron. You can hate me at any time for being petty about this comment!

2. I'd feel more "comfortable" with the scene if you cropped it more tightly instead of "floating" the surface upon which the icosahedron rests. You can still make the composition asymmetrical as you have done. I think the think that bothers me just a little, little, little, is the gradient you have in the background serves very little artistic purpose, so it steals from the wonderful polyhedron for interest. If you have only two elements in your composition—the tiles and the polyhedron, I have two things, and not three to look at and will enjoy the polyhedron more.

Make sense?

3.) Where do you want to go artistically from this point? You have learned a lot. With your talent, I would like to see something that is NOT a polyhedron. How can you take what you have learned about reflections, transparency and all that stuff, and make an original drawing?

Suggestion: draw come jewelry and make this study in reflecting facets of an object into the gem in the jewelry, like a woman's ring?

It is wonderful work. Now I want to see a variation on it, to show what you have learned.

I'm a difficult fellow to please, aren't I?

—Gary

That is very good indeed Jvila

I'm going to nit-pick. The ONLY thing I don't like about the image is the repeating tile texture which should perhaps be repeat inverted so that you don't see the lines of the tile joins:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repeating_tile.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	86820

But really, I'm nit-picking. It's a truly excellent study
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Wow, what a kind messages, thank you very much I really appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    "attempt" means "to try".

What you did, Javier, is "accomplish"!

It is obvious from the image above that you understand reflections, transparency, shading, the Fresnel effect of light accumulating like is does with a lens, and perspective in the scene you reproduced.

As you can imagine I made a lot of try and error to achieve it, this kind of object are very difficult to know what is shown in every facet due to reflections, etc, I think you need to be an expert in math to know it, I think I need to work more on solid object until I perfectly understand how lights and shadows work together

Overall, your work is outstanding, and you get +20!

Advice?

Yes, that's the best part

1.) It's an icosahedron, and your file calls it a dodecahedron. You can hate me at any time for being petty about this comment!

You're right, I'm having some problems counting
    I'm uploading a new file with the correct name (in spanish)

2. I'd feel more "comfortable" with the scene if you cropped it more tightly instead of "floating" the surface upon which the icosahedron rests. You can still make the composition asymmetrical as you have done. I think the think that bothers me just a little, little, little, is the gradient you have in the background serves very little artistic purpose, so it steals from the wonderful polyhedron for interest. If you have only two elements in your composition—the tiles and the polyhedron, I have two things, and not three to look at and will enjoy the polyhedron more.

I'm not pretty sure of undertanding correctly what you mean with crop, I'm uploading a new file to see if this is what you mean, if it's not I can upload the xar file

Make sense?

I think so, in fact something in the image bugs me and I'm not able to realize what it is

3.) Where do you want to go artistically from this point? You have learned a lot. With your talent, I would like to see something that is NOT a polyhedron. How can you take what you have learned about reflections, transparency and all that stuff, and make an original drawing?

I had a go with spheres some time ago (http://www.talkgraphics.com/album.php?albumid=13), you can see them in my profile, I'm going to have a look at them and see if now I'm able to improve them, lets see

Suggestion: draw come jewelry and make this study in reflecting facets of an object into the gem in the jewelry, like a woman's ring?

I drew some of them some time ago (http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthre...ing&highlight=), some are from pictures and others not, diamond ones is just came from my mind, ring ones not, as the previous point I think I can improve it for instance adding the shadow concepts you've tought to us

It is wonderful work. Now I want to see a variation on it, to show what you have learned.

I'm a difficult fellow to please, aren't I?

Better, there's only a way to improve

—Gary

Name:	icosaedro.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	86821  
    Javier

Quote Originally Posted by beretgascon View Post
    I'm going to nit-pick. The ONLY thing I don't like about the image is the repeating tile texture which should perhaps be repeat inverted so that you don't see the lines of the tile joins:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repeating_tile.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	86820

But really, I'm nit-picking. It's a truly excellent study
    Beretgascon,
    I made a change let me know if it is better.
    Best regards

Name:	icosaedro2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	86823  
    Last edited by jvila; 22 January 2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: attachment
    Javier

Quote Originally Posted by jvila View Post
    Beretgascon,
    I made a change let me know if it is better.
    Best regards
    The tile looks better but it still looks like a towering building behind that great shape, use the mould tool to alter the tile. It will appear to be sitting on the tile rather than a bout to climb it.

Stygg

Name:	Tile.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	86826  

Just so you can see how it would look with the tile altered, sorry I can't do those great fills as your shape has, but you can see how it would look, hope this helps

Stygg

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	86829