Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default A Little confused about page name and site name

I have done something incorrectly. In the Page Name tab it says Eclectic Arbor. Now that's what I want people to see when they get to the site. The only problem is when I publish the site it should upgrade the index.html file but it doesn't. Apparently it upgrades the file Eclectic Arbor file on the server, sooooo, no changes appear in the Website. I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Giddyup
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"

Default Re: A Little confused about page name and site name

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupGilbert View Post
    I have done something incorrectly. In the Page Name tab it says Eclectic Arbor. Now that's what I want people to see when they get to the site. The only problem is when I publish the site it should upgrade the index.html file but it doesn't. Apparently it upgrades the file Eclectic Arbor file on the server, sooooo, no changes appear in the Website. I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Giddyup
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say "...that's what I want peopleto see when they get to the site". Are you talking about the browser tab? Or the address bar? Or the web page itself?

The answer depends on what you are looking for.

The page title will appear in the browser tab.

The web page will show whatever you put into your design.

The address bar will not show the page name - when someone opens your website, the server looks in your website root directory (public_html) for the home page which must have a file name of index.html or default.html. That's just the way host servers work.

(technically, you can use .php or .asp extensions for you home page file name as well - if they are dynamic pages.)

Wasn't too clear I guess. When I publish the site I want it to publish to index.html on the server, but it isn't. It is publishing to Eclectic Arbor on the site which doesn't change anything on the site. I've misnamed something obviously. I know it is a simple fix, but cannot come up with the right answer yet.

Rules:

The first page of your site should be left UN-named. Xara will always name the first page 'index.htm' - so leave Page Filename empty.
    If you enter anything else, Xara will give you a stern warning
    You can add a title to the page Eclectic Arbor in the Page Title field of Web Properties.
    This title will appear on the page tab in web browsers and will be read by Search Engines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	page.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	11.8 KB 
ID:	89124

Sledger, makes sense, works,and I'm good to go. Thank you.
    Giddyup