Many thanks again, Colin

Default Re: behind fill

we try to be helpful no problem
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    ...The simplest way to add an outline that does not distort the font
    This does exactly the same thing as Corel and your text is still editable. True, you have to edit two bits of text.
    Well, I would say this isn't exactly the same thing as CD or AI, Gary, for the reason you have at the end. Unless "exactly" has a pretty loose definition

Having control over an outline's position (behind, inside, outside) would be a great addition for not only print design, but also web. Being able to position an outline inside doesn't change the width of say a web graphic if one is shooting for a precise width/height, for instance. Being able to position the outline to the outside aids in certain graphic design elements as well.

The screen shot attached is comprised of live text. All the other attributes are part of the text. They are a single element. What appears as a rounded rectangle, the scribbled line, the text outline: all part of the text. So when the text changes, everything associated with the text changes. However, their attributes remain exactly as seen, the distance from the text for the background brown, the scribble never changes its width nor orientation, both outlines on the text, etc.

While I don't think Xara will ever replicate this ability to its fullest, I would settle for being able to position the outline property and to have more than one outline <g>

Take care, Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mikey.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	89996  

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    The screen shot attached is comprised of live text. All the other attributes are part of the text. They are a single element. .....when the text changes, everything associated with the text changes.
    While I don't think Xara will ever replicate this ability to its fullest.........
    Well... Could you look at the attached (100% Xara) file please, Mike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	90004
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bitmap tiling isn't the same thing. Well, and, making changes to the text (font change breaking odd, the bitmap tile repeating oddly, the scale of the tile perhaps needing altering, etc) can have unexpected or undesired results and requires a little fiddling around post change.

So the real question is, are you satisfied with the way this works? Is it a speedy, assured enough means for you to accomplish a similar, but different, result? To me your use of Comic Sans was highly appropriate for the result obtained. I don't write that to diminish your efforts but rather for Xara to perhaps enhance the application.

Take care,

Name:	example2.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	90020  

I wasn't aware you hadn't used a bitmap fill for the tile Mike, can only tell so much from an attached image. Comic Sans was randomly chosen as a font I knew you should have on board. I didn't think the point you were making was the background to be honest. Was showing that text with the effect/s is fully editable and that the rectangle stretches to accommodate, which I thought was your point. In any case, the entire graphic is editable, background and all which as far as I can tell is just what anyone would want. The 'font breaking' I don't understand, that's not something I've seen with any of the Xara stretchy text panels.
    I no longer have or use CD so can't compare it with your preferred software but yes, I'm satisfied enough with Xara..

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    ...The 'font breaking' I don't understand, that's not something I've seen with any of the Xara stretchy text panels.
    Just change the font to Arial Black. That's all I did.
    I no longer have or use CD so can't compare it with your preferred software but yes...
    I only have up to CorelDraw version 8 installed on an XP Pro machine to maintain legacy stuff I designed back when.

If you read the post where I posted the screen shot, I wrote "All the other attributes are part of the text. They are a single element. What appears as a rounded rectangle, the scribbled line, the text outline: all part of the text."

The application used was Adobe Illustrator. The effects are produced via the Appearance Panel--something I wish that Xara would endeavor to replicate the capabilities of.
    ...I'm satisfied enough with Xara...
    This isn't about being satisfied or not being satisfied with Xara. My question was whether you were satisfied with the effect you achieved using a stretchy panel and a bitmap tiled image. As my intention would be for print, would your file be fit for hi-res digital or offset print?

However, do not misconstrue my intentions. I like using Xara Designer Pro. I will continue using XDP wherever and whenever possible. But that does not mean I think XDP is a "finished" product that never needs to move forward in its design capabilities. Back mroe to the point of the thread, having the ability to position the line attribute to outside, behind and inside benefits a large number of Xara users. Broadest appeal is likely those creating web or other bitmap images because it does not alter the exported size.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Broadest appeal is likely those creating web or other bitmap images because it does not alter the exported size.
    +1
    -
    and it's not just when creating bitmaps - if you are syncing vectors for colouring fills then an outline that increases the size is awkward [and so is not being able to fill unclosed shapes, which in itself would be a hamstrung operation if the outline options were not there]

actually the more I get into print, the more I appreciate adobe [but for various reasons mostly OT here such as CMYK]

[BTW I agree having that core information all together in the appearance panel is also very useful]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Is this what you want?
    I think the soft grouping of text feature has been overlooked.

Name:	Outline on top of fill.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	90068  
    Attached Files Attached Files

You could, I suppose, reverse the stacking order of the text objects too.