Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Flash Animation Tips & Tricks - MouseOver Effect and ;Stop Command

While trying to achieve a mouse over effect in a Flash animation using Xara Web Designer for another thread, I came across several little known items of interest. The first item is the MouseOver Effect, itself, available under the Web Properties > MouseOver Tab > Jump to Frame section (see attached screen capture below). This allows you to jump to any frame of your animation when a user places the mouse pointer over your Flash animation. For those who may have missed that, I said "jump to any frame". Very powerful and very useful.

While I got that to work with little effort, there was an unfortunate and highly disturbing 'strobe effect' created by the animation continuously looping between my two frames. After several tries at fixing it myself I resorted to reading the XWD Help file. That's where I came across the other tip (or trick). There is a ;Stop Command that can be appended to the Frame name (ie. MouseOff;Stop) to stop the animation on that frame (again, see the attached screen capture below). That did the trick as you can see from the following two frame Flash animation.

How cool is that? And, now that you know how too, it's very easy.

There are all kinds of tidbits and goodies in the XWD Help file under the heading Flash Animations. The ;Stop Command and MouseOver Effect information that helped me fix my animation came from the Advanced Flash Commands subsection. There is also a BASIC like ;GOTO Command for viewing frames out of sequence. Alas, if you use the ;GOTO Command or ;Stop Command the frames are not tweened.

Needless to say I'll be reading the entire Flash Animations section to see what other tips & tricks can be had.

Let's see what else we can dredge up from the help file. Maybe covoxer can, and will, throw a few lesser known tidbits our way, also.

Cheers,
    Harry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XWD MouseOver and Stop.jpg 
Views:	1114 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	60739  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by HayTay; 10 May 2009 at 01:21 AM.

Default Re: Flash Animation Tips & Tricks - MouseOver Effect and ;Stop Command

That's the ticket Thanks Harry!

Y'elcome, Steve.

Glad to be of service.

It's very cool Harry, thanks again for spotting and pointing it out
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Interesting thread ... but in attempting to try the MouseOver features, when I open the animation frame gallery and click on the Properties tab, I don't see anything pertaining to MouseOver. I get the following tabs ... Frame, Flash Options, GIF Options, Animation Loop & Speed, and Preview in Browser. Am I missing something, doing something wrong, or do I have an earlier version of XWD?

Ken,

You're not "missing something, doing something wrong, or...have an earlier version of XWD". You're just looking in the wrong spot.

Instead of looking in the Animation Properties dialog box available from the Frame Gallery > Properties window, try this. Right-Click (Alt-click) on one of the objects on your layer and select Web Properties from the pop-up menu. Now you should be able to find the Mouse-over tab from there.

IHTH,
    Harry
    Last edited by HayTay; 10 May 2009 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Changed wording.

Sorry
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 10 May 2009 at 03:46 AM. Reason: pointless post
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    It's very cool Harry, thanks again for spotting and pointing it out
    Yes, sir! Glad to help out fellow XWD (ab)users.

Quote Originally Posted by neodeist View Post
    Sorry
    Instead of self-editing your 'pointless post' and leaving an equally pointless 'sorry', why don't you post your shining example of the Mouse-over effect and ;Stop command in this thread for others to see? Even if it's for no other reason than to just let everyone else know I'm not the only one that can make this work.

Just a thought,
    Harry

One shining example as requested
    Attached Files Attached Files

I did find the correct bunch of options when clicking on an object rather than a line in the frame gallery, but a quick attempt to put the instructions to work on one of my little test files didn't pan out. I'll follow the thread to see if more comments are posted, then will get back in again and dig around. I guess what I was expecting to see was that a mouseover would "freeze" the animation at that moment. Maybe that's not what should be happening? I love XWD ... but it's leading me into learning some stuff that's pretty foreign to an old hand-coder!