Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Mulling through my past creations and remembered the one I'm posting. I think I had a cold that week, and had nothing better to do than to draw the legendary Oroe cookie embellishments in CorelDRAW.

Then it occured to me that I could extrude the design and actually make the cookie.
    I think a lot these days about the right tool for the right assignment.

And by the way, Earl, I feel Photoshop is way high in price, as are all the other Adobe products. But we cannot deny that they yield professional results. I've kept upgrading to PageMaker all these years, and Adobe has provided me with updates as an "influence peddler"...IOW an author.

I go back to, "Why should I give up 10 freaking years' experience in PageMaker to switch to Quark? I've seen the extensions, which are supposed to be the true power of Quark in MacWareHouse magazine, and for $600, you can add drop shadows to text or photos, do spreads (admittedly nice, but PageMaker 6 did that, I believe) and a host of other plug-ins that make a fairly vacuous Quark interface really strut its stuff. So you can wind up spending I don't know how much on Quark, and a couple grand on the plug-ins.

Sorry for my narrow-mindedness, but I cannot see spending thoudands of dollars to buy the "gold standard" when I'm producing fairly polished and tasty stuff with rusty old PageMaker 6.5, and past versions of Photoshop (just because I've memorized certain key commands.

Ooops, I'm getting off topic.
    Have a cookie <g>

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

Mulling through my past creations and remembered the one I'm posting. I think I had a cold that week, and had nothing better to do than to draw the legendary Oroe cookie embellishments in CorelDRAW.

Then it occured to me that I could extrude the design and actually make the cookie.
    I think a lot these days about the right tool for the right assignment.

And by the way, Earl, I feel Photoshop is way high in price, as are all the other Adobe products. But we cannot deny that they yield professional results. I've kept upgrading to PageMaker all these years, and Adobe has provided me with updates as an "influence peddler"...IOW an author.

I go back to, "Why should I give up 10 freaking years' experience in PageMaker to switch to Quark? I've seen the extensions, which are supposed to be the true power of Quark in MacWareHouse magazine, and for $600, you can add drop shadows to text or photos, do spreads (admittedly nice, but PageMaker 6 did that, I believe) and a host of other plug-ins that make a fairly vacuous Quark interface really strut its stuff. So you can wind up spending I don't know how much on Quark, and a couple grand on the plug-ins.

Sorry for my narrow-mindedness, but I cannot see spending thoudands of dollars to buy the "gold standard" when I'm producing fairly polished and tasty stuff with rusty old PageMaker 6.5, and past versions of Photoshop (just because I've memorized certain key commands.

Ooops, I'm getting off topic.
    Have a cookie <g>

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Here's the cookie. I think I need forum lessons or something...

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oreo1996.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	16961  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com

Your cookie looks delicious...could you make it blacker to match the real thing?

Very nice Gary.

I think Photoshop is so expensive because it is like the Maya of the bitmap world,but being a moderator/teacher would that not enable you to be able to purchase the education version of say PS 6 at a reduced price?

Stu.

Now someone needs to post some milk to go with it! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Great detail Gary. Sorry I've been out of the loop for the past few days. Between work and getting sick over the weekend my time has been limited.

And Gary, I agree completely. Just about every Adobe product is over-priced (well most anyway). However PhotoShop, Illustrator, PageMaker, etc, are all great products. They produce amazing things. Though, I do feel that they are not the only options. Corel Photo-Paint can match Adobe PhotoShop pound for pound - yet costs quite a bit less. Xara or Draw could match Illustrator, etc. I do NOT believe in there being 'de facto' standards as Adobe conceitedly boasts on their site. I guess that's my main problem when it comes to software developers. Too many companies use deception to influence the unknowning into believing that their software is 'the best'. I guess it's too much to ask for a world where software companies just 'get along' together? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oh well, that's marketing for ya! Sorry to have gone 'off topic', but I'm afraid if I spent too much time talking about your Oreo, I would have had to taken a bite. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Stu, and Earl...

I think we all need to remember one thing:
    •The super-cool, to-die-for pieces such as Stuart Little and the powerhouse robots in "The Matrix" were done by many people over a period that went from months to over a year. Yeah, they used Maya, and I'll betcha a nickel that the salesman from Alias|Wavefront went crawling on his knees to Warner Brothers to make a sweetheart deal on multiple station licenses.

So if my art isn't as polished as commercial work done by a studio, so what? For me, the gratification comes from sharing my work and teaching it.

While we are on the subject of teaching and Stu's intimation that I or someone else like me (thank god there's not<g>) can cut a deal based on my profession...all I can say is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I've picked up the phone to Kinetix, explained my intention for the product (to document it), and promptly got a box delivered to me. On the other hand, smaller companies tend to be a little short-sighted, and I've been told more than once to perform a bodily act that I believe is physically impossible.

As a beta tester, the standard thing is to get the shipping copy for free. Macromedia was the best company to bug-hunt for, while Corel insisted on reports every three days or you're off the beta list and no free product at the end. The pisser was that I probably submitted more genuine bugs for version 6 than any of the other folks, and Corel insisted that the bugs were not bugs, and happily went on oblivious to the reality that version 6 was the worst piece of software since I backed over a Quicken CD with my car.

I'm just happy now that closing this book I'm working on requires a lot of modeling. It's been months since I last extruded!

Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yippy.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	18777  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com