to be able to actively select
    pass actions, to be undone, or redone.

Just a thought, i'm not a programmer obviously
    just wished I had had that feature at times,

Thanks Gary, for all your expertise with
    Xara, really learning alot here.

Jeffmeister

Jeffmeister,

Yes, I could have had use for that feature about a billion times. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm not a programmer either, so I don't know how realistic it is. I would however imagine that the file size would get quite big... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/frown.gif

The easiest workaround is to save - save - save - and save again. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Jeffmeister, yes, TG and the most generous people here, are a great bunch, aren't they?

Nice to meet you!

artworks used to do that. you could load up a sample drawing and undo all the way to nothing. and then redo and watch how it was drawn.
    if they could do it 10 or 15 years ago (roughly!) i'm sure it wouldn't be a problem now. there could be a setting "how much space to use storing undo steps".

Agree with you there Tremendous, Artworks Undo feature was great at watching a drawings creation and came with every .art file. I could never understand why it was abandoned. (Any idea Anthony?)
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

this was one of the many wishlist features I requested for xara x years ago, so I really hope they do include this in X2. Also pass-protected or uneditable xar file would be nice to boot http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

the easiest way to make a .xar uneditable... is to put it on a CD...

Originally posted by Egg Bramhill:
    Agree with you there Tremendous, Artworks Undo feature was great at watching a drawings creation and came with every .art file. I could never understand why it was abandoned. (Any idea Anthony?)
    Egg
    No ideas, sorry. However I'm sitting here with a colleague thinking what a good idea it'd be. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

It's a principle that Xara has embraced a lot. With Webstyle buttons, with XPE edit lists. So my logic tells me that maybe there's a reason it wouldn't work with Xara X -- maybe the edit lists would get really large?

But I'll see if I can find out from someone if it's been thought about. Because I am curious.
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Hi guys,

Xara X's undo system is implemented in a different way than the one in ArtWorks, and that's partly due to Xara X being written in C++ (ArtWorks was ARM assembler) and partly to make it work better and faster.

So, I'm afraid it's one of those trade-offs. You lose the ability to save and reload the undo information but you gain a better undo system.

No doubt we could add the feature back in but it would be a lot of work and its bang-per-buck would have to be carefully considered and prioritised against all the other feature requests.

Phil

Yeah this is a feature I would love to see - obviously you could have an option to save undo's or not - I always find myself having to do a 'Crap But Keep' layer of things that I can't change once I've saved like 'Text changed to editable shapes'.

And people complaining about file sizes? With Gigs for pence (UK) who cares!