Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poster Critique

some details:

I've been asked by a friend to design a poster for an event that is taking place on behalf of my local Rugby League clubs Independant Supporters Association.

The association is known as LISA (Leigh independant Supporters Association) and the event is a tag rugby competition.

This is the initial design I have come up with, and I'd like the excellent people in this forum to cas a critical eye over it.

The design is to go on A4 paper (printed through a colour laser printer). Below is the .XAR file for better inspection.

Thanks a lot, your advice is greatly appreaciated.

Michael Ward
    http://LeighCenturions.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poster.gif 
Views:	426 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	7060  

some details:

I've been asked by a friend to design a poster for an event that is taking place on behalf of my local Rugby League clubs Independant Supporters Association.

The association is known as LISA (Leigh independant Supporters Association) and the event is a tag rugby competition.

This is the initial design I have come up with, and I'd like the excellent people in this forum to cas a critical eye over it.

The design is to go on A4 paper (printed through a colour laser printer). Below is the .XAR file for better inspection.

Thanks a lot, your advice is greatly appreaciated.

Michael Ward

Here's the .XAR file. The followign fonts were used:

Accord Light SF
    Arial Black
    Cairo SF
    Chanson Heavy SF
    Medway SF

Michael Ward
    Attached Files Attached Files

its easy to read,
    its easy to grasp the meaning,
    all messages are easy to find (lets assume I got them all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img])
    and the looks is professional.

thats what I would go for. last not least what is vital for me ...
    I like it. If I ordered it I would say "well Mr. Ward, thats what I had in mind [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]" I would buy it.

juergen

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Michael - I too like what you've created but that doesn't stop me from making a few comments for consideration... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Leigh vs. The Fans - It seems to me that there's too much emphasis on "Leigh". Certainly seeing the Fans go against their team is what it's all about so I think "the Fans" should get a bit more emphasis. Perhaps all that would take is stretching "The Fans" taller.

Next, I really like that "Are You Tough Enough?" line but I wonder why the "All people who wish to play..." info doesn't immediately follow it?? Wouldn't the message be clearer if it did?

Now this is a relatively minor point: I assume the awards ceremony and party are included in the entrance fee - that isn't entirely clear.

Overall I take it the purpose of the event is as a fund-raising event for the team. Would identifying it as such generate more support? That's something to think about...

Regards, Ross

PS - Good Luck with the event!

I'm sure Risto could make something (someone?) different out of 'LISA Player of the Year'! (I'd certainly like to play tag rugby with Lisa...) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

But, seriously, most of it seems fine. I'd change 'Sun, November 4th' to 'Sunday 4 November' (a pretty standard format nowadays), and is that a hyphen or a dash between the date and the time?

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

PS Sorry about the silly joke (perhaps you've heard it before?). And do you really need five fonts? It looks OK to me, but multiple fonts do fly in the face of conventional wisdom.

Good Poster. Should work well. I tend to prefer a wider margin. The poster seems very full as it is. A matter of grammar: isn't there a "to" missing: " ... required to donate or raise "
    Good luck with the fund raising. Neil

Michael

I don't know where to look first. Every element of your poster is about the same size and of equal importance.

My advice, if you want it, is to hold onto this design, it's very servicable and all, and create a new one from scratch.

Start with this image and the one most important thing you have to say. Just work with these two elements until you have an eye-catching design.

Then add your other elements. But make sure that they do not fight for attention with the main image and main headline. They should be smaller.

If you look at outdoor advertising, we call them billboards over here, not sure what they call them in the UK, the best examples have a compelling image, and no more than 6-8 words in the headline. They are designed to register a message on the reader who is driving by at 50-70 MPH.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester" TARGET=_blank>
    Be it ever so humble...</A>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.jpg

Sigh! The moment Gary comments on something like this, it all snaps into focus and I find myself wondering why I didn't spot it before...

Sage advice, Michael. Take it!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

It's hard to depict the core message from such a diversity of differently sized and placed messages in a different fonts. Better organisation of the information could help. I know it's not very motivating to get a lot of suggestions for the work you already considered quite finished. Internally we and my friends in here call it wannabe-improvements ;-).