Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi

I had this prepared two days ago and then with the sad and horrific events in the States on Tuesday, I decided to hold back. I hope people won't mind me posting a new thread at this time - I don't want to appear insensitive to the situation and it has hit me very hard I might add.

I have stated several times in messages to this forum that I am NOT a graphic designer and would NEVER be a graphic designer. BUT... I would like to be a great deal nearer to being one than I am at present. I don't THINK I'm being unethical in asking (but if I am then just say so and I'll drop the subject) but can anyone give me a few tips and hints on what to consider when starting a graphic and how do I, without much imagination, think of a particular form of graphic.

There are some things of course which are obvious such as, what the graphic is for, e.g. the web or printing, whether it is to be a logo or have a totally different but specific purpose. How it is to be saved and whether it is to be compressed etc. These considerations seem obvious but there may also be many more things that should be obvious that aren't - not to me anyway.

Also, when it comes to the design process, I find it extremely difficult to think what I would like to see or what would look good. In browsing the web, I see many superb graphics/sites, and I could MAYBE recreate it for my own purposes (very unethical) or possibly create something similar - but even then not with any particular success. However, whenever I try to do something completely original, its always a dismal failure.

At present I'm trying to redesign a web site as the current design, in my mind anyway, is so drab. At present I'm using XaraX to try a mock up of a redesign but ideas are very few - when it comes to designing my own sites I am completely void of ideas. When I do have an idea for a web site style (or a graphic for printing), which is not that often, just how do I go about its creation? What should I consider first and foremost and thereafter in the creation process.

I also need to create graphic article headings and covers for a magazine I prepare (my main task in life is DTP) and although I generally manage to create suitable graphics I'm not exactly over the moon about them.

There are a great many graphic designers who contribute to this forum and if just some of them could give me some tips on the process they go through it would be very much appreciated. I am NOT asking anyone to design anything for me, I'm just asking for some tips and hints on the process to adopt in considering what sort of graphic I should attempt.

Any help would be most appreciated. Many thanks.

Tracey

Hi

I had this prepared two days ago and then with the sad and horrific events in the States on Tuesday, I decided to hold back. I hope people won't mind me posting a new thread at this time - I don't want to appear insensitive to the situation and it has hit me very hard I might add.

I have stated several times in messages to this forum that I am NOT a graphic designer and would NEVER be a graphic designer. BUT... I would like to be a great deal nearer to being one than I am at present. I don't THINK I'm being unethical in asking (but if I am then just say so and I'll drop the subject) but can anyone give me a few tips and hints on what to consider when starting a graphic and how do I, without much imagination, think of a particular form of graphic.

There are some things of course which are obvious such as, what the graphic is for, e.g. the web or printing, whether it is to be a logo or have a totally different but specific purpose. How it is to be saved and whether it is to be compressed etc. These considerations seem obvious but there may also be many more things that should be obvious that aren't - not to me anyway.

Also, when it comes to the design process, I find it extremely difficult to think what I would like to see or what would look good. In browsing the web, I see many superb graphics/sites, and I could MAYBE recreate it for my own purposes (very unethical) or possibly create something similar - but even then not with any particular success. However, whenever I try to do something completely original, its always a dismal failure.

At present I'm trying to redesign a web site as the current design, in my mind anyway, is so drab. At present I'm using XaraX to try a mock up of a redesign but ideas are very few - when it comes to designing my own sites I am completely void of ideas. When I do have an idea for a web site style (or a graphic for printing), which is not that often, just how do I go about its creation? What should I consider first and foremost and thereafter in the creation process.

I also need to create graphic article headings and covers for a magazine I prepare (my main task in life is DTP) and although I generally manage to create suitable graphics I'm not exactly over the moon about them.

There are a great many graphic designers who contribute to this forum and if just some of them could give me some tips on the process they go through it would be very much appreciated. I am NOT asking anyone to design anything for me, I'm just asking for some tips and hints on the process to adopt in considering what sort of graphic I should attempt.

Any help would be most appreciated. Many thanks.

Tracey

practice practice practice.

Not trying to clam to be an expert, but you just got to try things. Copy things others have done - just don't use it for any gain (other than your own experience). Doodle, scribble on post its while on the phone is one of my key idea generators (must be something to do with the subconscious). And what ever you try, post it here for feedback. When you see some of the cool stuff here it takes you time before you feel you can share your ideas, but that is how you learn so go for it.

Turan

Tracey,
    I've often felt in the same boat is you and from what you said when you began this thread, our talents are perhaps similar but Turan pretty much said it all, practice, practice, practice.

I too, do not consider myself an artist by any stretch of the imagination and I'm always in awe when I see what some of these folks can do (and the time they do it in... sheesh!) Like anything else, designing will come easier for some than others.

But my goal is to better myself. I've used Xara for some time now and each time I look back at what I did last year or 2 or 3 years ago, I DO seem improvement. I know therefore that I'm going in the right direction.

I watch all the short tutorials and tips here, Gary's and other lessons over on XaraXone... and practice, practice, practice.

I did a website for a local bus consortium called www.buskids.ca and the graphics on it were done in Xara. Some is original work combined with some clipart but I keep trying to wheen myself off the clipart. The idea of the buskids.ca bus logo on the home page was the result of a combination of doodles done by myself and my 12 year old son. (We likes the same things <smile>.)

My goal today... is to be a little better than yesterday.
    --
    Phillip

Like Tracey, I suffer from getting stuck. Before I was 13 or so, I was far more inventive. From then I started to worry about what I wrote or drew. So I guess I need to get back to that child-like simplicity. But it's too hard!!!!

www.thelondonhouse.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Hi Tracey,
    If this is true:
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>whenever I try to do something completely original, it's always a dismal failure<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You have already succeeded.

I am an "Artist". It is an affliction actually, not a badge of honor or anything. I used to teach at University, and, being a natural pedant, can tell you succinctly what to do.

Do this: Go to the library, look at every image in every book on Graphic Design. Don't read, just look. Then make sure you never create an image like those you have seen.

Voila !

This works very well with all disciplines. Practice is only needed if you wish your "hands" to do certain things. Drawing, for example. But you can draw better with your mind than with your hands. That is why Xara is so great.

Regards ,,,, Tad ...
    ps. If you get stuck, just use bilateral symmetry, works every time...T... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Just found this. Hard to say whether it's useful really, but it is mind-boggling
    http://www.guidancecom.com/alphabet/
    There's good reading here
    http://www.icograda.org/web/articles/feature-past.shtml

Tracey

Find examlpes of design you like and try to analyze why you think the design is effective.

What is it the designer has done to make the design work? It is clever, simple, colorful, well structured?

Find examples of design you don't like. Do the same thing.

Go to the bookstore or magazine counter and see if you can find a copy of Communication Arts Magazine (published in the USA). Or maybe your library has copies. CA features the best graphic design, photography, advertising, and illustration being done in the world. Graphis is another excellent magazine (published in Switzerland).

Look at the work in these publications and see how creatively and effectively the design process is implemented.

Use this material as a source of creative energy and inspiration. Try to apply some of the effects and techniques you see to your projects.

When I was in advertising, the creative people would thumb though old issues of Communication Arts Magazine for inspiration. Not with the intention of copying something really good, but more for drawing inspiration and creative energy from seeing the best of the best design and advertising design.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

........for all your replies. It seems I should have used a little more common. I suppose its a case of checking with the Graphics magazines we get here in the UK - I don't know of Gary's Communication Art being available here.

I suppose I have improved in my graphics ability. For instance, I took a look at the new release of Webstyle but found it to be apparently restricted in what I could do compared with XaraX. Its OK knowing how to use XaraX (and I still use it for mainly elementary things) but that alone doesn't make someone a graphic designer.

Anyway thanks for your responses.

Incidentally Gary, good to see you back safe and sound at the end of what must have been an horrendous week for all at CorelWorld, albeit (hopefully) a very friendly week for all concerned.

Tracey

I'm a bit late on this but I couldn't agree more about the advice so far...

Try UK magazines like Creative Review, Design Weekly, Computer Arts and get down to Waterstones and look at the outrageously priced design journals. Really it is about immersing yourself in the imagery, I've always been bad at theory but looking at the pictures does work!

On a more practical level, if you've got a specific job or topic then sit down and write a list of things that come into your head about the subject you are designing for. Things like associated images and colours, then maybe if you need a bit more help go and check out some books on the subject - nothing heavy, just something to get the old grey matter working. It amazing what getting away from the computer screen and writing stuff down on a piece of paper can do. Then, when you've got a list of stuff the difficult creative bit starts... but if you've looked at enough design books/mags etc you can start to let the ideas in your head to come through. Just don't worry too much (at all!) about whether your ideas are original or not, and do remember less really is usually more - a good design will not need dozens of whizzy fx to make it work.

Finally, don't beat yourself up over a design, this is a real killer. If you're getting really stressed walk away and take an hour/day/week off and then come back to it all fresh.

HTH

Richard

www.graphitedesign.net
    www.richardcassidy.com
    design | graphitedesign.net
    photography | richardcassidy.com