Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

I started playing with John's virtual hole technique. I started to explore how complex a single xara object could become. The example below used the virtual hole idea to allow the transparency tool to edit a hole out of the quickshape thingy. (There was lots more to the quickshape in the central area where the text was added; the virtual hole edited it out). After applying a bevel I then used xara's capability for the bevel and the original shape to have different fills. The original shape was given a fill that is completely transparent - which means you only see the bevel. A shadow was applied. I should note the whole thing remains interactive - I can still adjust the quickshape or other aspects.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on November 03, 2001 at 10:41.]

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on November 03, 2001 at 10:43.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oneobjecttest.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	9377  

I started playing with John's virtual hole technique. I started to explore how complex a single xara object could become. The example below used the virtual hole idea to allow the transparency tool to edit a hole out of the quickshape thingy. (There was lots more to the quickshape in the central area where the text was added; the virtual hole edited it out). After applying a bevel I then used xara's capability for the bevel and the original shape to have different fills. The original shape was given a fill that is completely transparent - which means you only see the bevel. A shadow was applied. I should note the whole thing remains interactive - I can still adjust the quickshape or other aspects.

Regards, Ross

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on November 03, 2001 at 10:41.]

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on November 03, 2001 at 10:43.]

Ross, your work appears simple yet is complex. I must look into profile transparencies as several of you have got some interesting results: leaves blowing, snow falling, and this intriguing shape.
    Cheers, Neil

1. I tried the virtual hole with a star quick shape. I could mask out the fill of the star but not the bevel portion that overlapped the virtual hole as shown below. Hmm ... perhaps its because I'm using a fractal transparency for the bevel not a fractal fill? How did you do it in your example.

2. In the below example I was able to use two transparencies: fractal clouds for the bevel portions and circular transparency for the fill of the star shape. However, both transparencies shared the SAME Transparency Profile. Did you notice this in your testing?

[This message was edited by John S. Clements on November 03, 2001 at 19:16.]

Name:	_virtual_holes_-_bevels.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	7532  

Xar file posted here
    Attached Files Attached Files

John - after creating the quickshape I gave it a bitmap fill. I then used your transparency/profile technique to put a circular virtual hole in the middle of it. That made the central part of it disappear. The quickshape was then beveled. (In mine the bevel had a 'Point Frame 1' bevel type). I imported into the document a handy little png file that I created some time ago. It is completely transparent. (I attach it below in case anyone is confused about how to make one of these babies for themselves). I then selected the original quickshape by ctrl-clicking on it - taking care to be sure I didn't have the bevel selected (the 'status bar' identifies what you have selected). With only that original quickshape selected I changed its fill to the transparent png I had just imported. Upon changing that fill, all that could be seen was the bevel itself.

I added the shadow to see what would happen. Interestingly, Xara's shadow tool understands what is transparent in what it is being asked to shadow. The shadow tool only shadows what appears such that all the 'holes' appear properly in the cast shadow too.

I hope all that makes sense. If not tell me and I'll find another way to explain it.

(Note the attached .png file 'appears' below. When you import it into xara you can't see it. A great way to use it is for embossed/raised effects. Give some text the transparent png bitmap fill and then, with it still selected, apply a bevel with a fair amount of contrast. The result can then be relocated over any image for a instant and highly flexible embossed/raised effect).

Regards, Ross

Attached Images Attached Images  

It may be of interest to someone: A while back there were some threads about using transparent .png's as fills. They dealt with partially transparent as well as completely transparent ones. Here's one and here's another. Perhaps if you didn't 'get it' before you will now.

Regards, Ross

Thanks for the info.

Below are some more "complex" single objects. Who knows, maybe there's something useful in all of this.

[This message was edited by John S. Clements on November 03, 2001 at 23:26.]

Name:	_virtual_holes_-_bevels2.gif 
Views:	436 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	4295  

Trying to replicate Ross's effect I found that bevels are tricky to work with. The sequence in which fill and transparency modifications are applied are important.

Name:	_virtual_holes_-_bevels3.gif 
Views:	430 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	5184  

Another example showing how the sequence of applying a transparency and a transparency profile along with bevel effects can produce different results.

Name:	_virtual_holes_-_bevels5.gif 
Views:	413 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	4696