Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

And a fine Gummi Bear it is! I hear the post impressionists were fond of the little gummi bottles with the cola flavour. I like them too!

Seriously, I'm just starting to realize that a painting program has some value in my toolbox. I know many of you use photoshop for your painting-like needs - I don't. I've largely stuck with Xara for the past few years. Perhaps I should start working with zbrush and Xara - it could be a good pairing.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    IP

I downloaded ZBrush last year when they made a lot of publicity for it on the Internet Eye.
    It has, in my opinion, a dark and uninviting interface, but it is fascinating to play with, and you go much further than those plasticine thingies they show as "art" on their site.
    Still, I didn't buy it because, although I love playing with it, I see no practical use for it right now. And also their manuals aren't updated and quite complex. But Is is indeed fascinating to play with (see image)

As for RealDRAW pro, this is a little embarrasing on this Xara forum. I'm glad Klaus found it and shared his findings with us (me too I downloaded it and will eventually buy it when I can cough up new bucks for software), but their publicity is (you saw it?):

the best even gets better

The problem is, in fact: it is not because you are the best, that you're also better than the others... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on April 22, 2001 at 12:30 PM.]

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on April 22, 2001 at 12:34 PM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterworld.jpg 
Views:	770 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	6039  
    IP

Erik - Thanks for posting your mysterious painting. Looks like microscope art.

I've started a new thread on Zbrush. You can find it here. I hope you'll contribute your thoughts about the program there. I agree that it is fun. I think I'm starting to discover what you seem to have already found: That the nature of the program lends itself more to playing than drawing with purpose. This idea of "drawing with purpose" is something Xara really facilitates. You can know what you are going to draw before you begin. The drawing you want can be 'constructed'.

In that same regard, so far I've found Real-Draw to be no match for Xara. It's drawing tools can't keep up with all the cool effects IMHO. I'll have play with it more to get to know it better.

Regards, Ross

IP

Looks like an awesome product all right.

That said, this is the Xara X Conference and not the Real DRAW Pro conference.

Can we try to at the very least, contain the topic to discussion and not post every new image created with Real DRAW Pro? Bandwidth is getting scarcer and scarcer as it is.

Gary (Bad Cop)

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Even So Humble...
    IP

Ross, in my opinion Jay got it right on RealDraw. Like I-Tex, like Ultrafractal, like Zbrush and so many fascinating software it is something you use like you use herbs and spices in the kitchen.
    I like them, but they are like independant plug-ins. Like RealDraw's accent on importing layers in Photoshop. Would like to hear from someone who has PS6 if it really works, as they show an image of Limited Edition. You also need plugins, even for .tiff.
    But it is fascinating to get inspired by. And that is the main point, like I stated elsewhere: every piece of software is a tool, like a Kolinsky brush is a tool and a Rotring pen is a tool. It's what YOU do with it that's important. The same goes for Xara: all those brushes are great and attractive, but of little useability (to me). And that's how the market functions: the Adult wouldn't go for it, so they focus on the Child. The child in us that want's to play with new toys. And you know the proverb: "the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys"? True, oh so true... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

edit: you see why I find it embarassing to chitchat about it on this forum? Gary got between your message and mine [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for the microscope link. I was looking for something like that, but couldn't find it. You know by chance a site with good images of galaxies, nebulae and planets (not Planet Photoshop) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] ?

[This message was edited by Erik Heyninck on April 22, 2001 at 01:40 PM.]
    IP

I know this is a forum about Xara, but you started the topic [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    I appreciate the nice or constructive words you say about Real-DRAW PRO because, well, I am the author of the software.

The RD is not mean to replace or copy xara or other software (in fact it is probably closer to macromedia fireworks than to xara). I just wanted to create a fun software for intermediate users... and to prove the big companies that even single developer can survive in the waters. You know, when you come to 'a' big company with your own idea they usually laugh at you..

I actually have my own retail copy of Corel Xara 1.0 and 1.5 , while I think it is great and it really set a new standard back then (what 5 years ago?) I don't use it much anymore.. same reason why I don't use Corel Draw ... I do mostly simple multimedia and web graphics so RD is exactly what I needed for creating my own stuff.
    Anyway, I would like to hear your comments and suggestions about RD, well of course not here this is Xara forum, just send email to oscar at mediachance.com if you have anything.

P.S. Erik, I will remove the 'best..' thing from web page - it is already gone.
    P.S. Yes the export works with Photoshop 6.0, I spent 6 hours with hex editor since they don't bother to describe the format properly in their sdk.

Thanks.
    Oscar

[This message was edited by Oscar on April 22, 2001 at 02:07 PM.]
    IP

So I've been playing with realdraw today and trying to figure it out. Here's my first attempt at a drawing (I know we should't post this stuff here but someone started this and now the ball is rolling :-) ... )

http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/rea...ater_small.jpg

I've been trying to find a way to give a good linear (or other ) transparency effect on various vector objects (or even a mask). XaraX makes this so easy. But in this program even using the linear transparency effect from the transparency window, doesn't do what I want. I kindof find I miss some tools like dodge, burn and other pixel-based ones. And since it allows one to paint on top of vector shapes, I can't see why there's no tools like that too.

There are many neat things about this program though such as the 3d lighting effects, the texture application (ie ... the perspective ability) and some random generator choices when applying certain things (eg. object / genetx color). Also some of the 3d-looking effects are good (and there appears to be some sortof bump map abilities to texturing).

XaraX still beats it on a whole heap of things like transparencies, node editing, vector drawing, texture library etc... but this program is kindof neat to make things in a different way and a bargain at the price. (my opinion anyway)

David K
    www.dkingdesign.com
    IP

ok ....I posted this already with more typing about realdraw but this time I'll just post this first pic I made using Realdraw (i know we probably shouldn't post these here).

http://www.dkingdesign.com/stuff/rea...ater_small.jpg

David King
    www.dkingdesign.com
    IP

Nice of Oscar to drop by. I hope he checks out some of the good xara work shown at these forums. I also hope he knows he is welcome to participate.

David, Your sailboat is really neat. The lighting effects look great. Perhaps these Real-Draw lighting effects will encourage us xara-users to develope simple techniques in xara that acheive the same result ???

Regards, Ross

IP

Yes I check some of the graphics - for example Big Frank's images are simply amazing - and here apply what was said before - it doesn't matter what tool you use but how you use it.
    Any cool effect can stimulate or inspire, but it will never create an artist.

BTW: the boat image has nice atmosphere!
    IP