Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I would like to show that one to friend. Is it stored somewhere on the web? Chance is that I don't read xaraxone page wery carefully so maybe it's somewhere there, please apologise my ignorance then.

roman

I would like to show that one to friend. Is it stored somewhere on the web? Chance is that I don't read xaraxone page wery carefully so maybe it's somewhere there, please apologise my ignorance then.

roman

Roman

I nver knew that site existed. How totally cool!

Thank you for finding this fabulous resource.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Thank you for finding this fabulous resource.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for finding this store of stolen goods!

I simply can't believe they're taking this material and presenting it like that ('The primary sources of content for the Collections are publicly accessible Web pages that were collected and donated by third parties'). The instructions for removing sites from their 'archives' stink because they require you to include a robots.txt file in your own site to keep them out. It's unauthorised copying of materials from one site to another, which makes it simple theft — no more, no less. My sites are updated because the new versions are the ones I want to be seen, so I'll certainly be demanding their removal ASAP, but I shouldn't have to...

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

I checked and found several of my older "projects". I think think this site is great - what a digital museum it will be!

Øystein

http://www.heimesider.com

While it is sort of cool to see old stuff - it is not nice to think it was taken without us knowing about it!

Turan

Pete has a good point and this could be considered a copyright violation.

On the other hand to have earlier versions of the Xone available is a cool idea and helpful to persons wanting something from an earlier time.

On the other hand, no-one ever contacted me for permission.

On the other hand, is this a for-profit site? Are they making money from this or providing a useful service?

I have a real problem with sites like About.com that link to other articles on other sites within their own frame sets as many visitors are confused as to the source and origins of the materials. And About.com is a for profit site.

Many questions with many answers.

I'm not sure where I come out on this.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

How many hands do you have, Gary? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Anyway, I've come across this website before. It's a not-for-profit organization that pretty much does what they're saying. Making a digital library of websites.

I can understand where Peter is coming from. There are a lot of people who don't want their works appearing on anything but their own website.

I guess it's all a matter of what your site is there for. If you're using it as an online portfolio for generating commissions, then I can understand not wanting to see your works anywhere else.

I guess in the end, it is like having something personal such as your wedding album or baby book put into a public library with everyone elses. Some don't mind it, others don't want it to leave their posession.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I guess in the end, it is like having something personal such as your wedding album or baby book put into a public library with everyone elses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really! It's more like finding someone's made a film out of pirated out-takes and put on a rival screening! I'd be nuts if I didn't want folk to look at my sites, but expecting these to be in my chosen versions at my own URLs strikes me as perfectly reasonable. If someone's seen and/or saved an older version of something I've done and not been back that's one thing, but unauthorised archiving of my mistakes and superseded pages for further distribution is another.

Above all, it's the arrogance of the whole thing as much as the illegality that bugs me, with the assumption of permission by default to preserve and supply my deleted/superseded files for over a year before I'd even heard of the 'project' being breathtaking, to say the least...

If they'd asked and if I'd said yes that might have been cool (I'd have said no), but theft is theft and I'm afraid that's what it is!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

PS Given that part of the brief for the changing XaraXone design is (as I understand it) to show what Xara can do, I can see the attraction of a little museum of its various incarnations. But what's to stop Gary including a nice little 'history' section with a couple of pages from each makeover at the Xone itself?

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on February 21, 2002 at 12:29.]