Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

and was dismayed to find it not loading the background image properly. So their "archiving" process has degraded the quality of my site.

I spent some time reading their restrictions on others using their archive. I find it ironic that they put so much effort in restricting others when they themselves take whatever they want.

The whole "for research" premise of their site seems weak to me. If they were serious about that each page would be in a frame that identifies when it was spidered (or stolen) so that a date in time is attached to each archived site. My site appears to have been copied about a year ago. I can put an educated guess on that but I doubt any "researcher" could. Without date-stamping what is the value of their historical archive.

They say they are non-profit. I wonder if they release the salaries and expense accounts of those involved in the project. I've done design jobs for non-profit groups. In one case the director's very large office had a very large marble private washroom with gold fittings. He also had a very elegant private dining room complete with full-time staff to prepare and serve his meals. -- The result is that I no longer see "non-profit" as an excuse for stealing someone else's intellectual property.

If the archive appeared to be doing something more than just copying sites I might not be bothered by their existence. It looks to me that they are just an excuse to get grants and donations.

That's my two-cents worth.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

My site was also incomplete - I think this is not right. And as Peter said any mistakes are remembered.

At the end of the day I have a CD archive of my past sites. If some one asks and importantly I want to share it I can.

It is a strange situation - but it does seem to be a side effect of the net. Makes you think how many similar sites there are that are making money out of it - sites we just have not found yet!

Turan

They stole my whole web site! CGI scripts and all
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

They even have my little old site! One thing I noticed many of my pages have bitmap backgrounds that don't show up.

Judi

My Stuff

Sheesh! What kinds of servers do these guys have? Sounds like they have backed up the entire World Wide Web.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

While I can live with the thought that somebody is archiving my old pages, I can't live with the way they do it.

The have archived pages I made back to the year of 1995, but almost all of them are incomplete. Practically all the pictures are missing.

Even more strange and pretty stupid is, that they keep checking for long gone files on my actual server. This way my stats show a huge number of 404s that actually are no 404s because the files are not meant to be there any more.

Apart from copyright issues, I'd say they are pretty stupid and their 'project' makes no sense at all. Either archive sites or don't. Of what use are old, outdated and highly incomplete artifacts of sites ???

Wolfgang

I think they make it way to difficult to have your site removed. They only have my index page from different dates – but still… I don’t like it at all!

How can this be legal? They make all kinds of documents, art, tutorials etc. available through their archive. Non-profit or not… they must be infringing on copyrights!

People can’t control how and when they make their property available to the public…

That is BS…

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

...I just wanted to check the older XaraXone design.. that's all ;-))

This unallowed indexing of your sites is happening practically anytime. There are many spiders crawling around the web, some of them even so greedy that they can flood the servers with too many page-requests (especially when your site is fully database-driven). I had problems with spider (?) behind aol proxy every month at my non-commercial C64 news site, www.c64.sk, so I did a radical cut, I had created robots.txt in the root directory which have sent all robots away. Even the web.archive robot... now I don't know if it was so good idea. By sending spiders away you can also make your site invisible for the search engines, which is not always the best idea. It's good to have site in the first places in the search results (when you write C64 news in Google, guess which site is first [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. Disallowing robots to index your site, you can also prevent them from being found in the search engines.

More about robots.txt and robots meta tags here:

http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html