Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xara X Icon

Could antone out there please tell me how to access Xara X's icons because I am producing a booklet for teachers using Xara in Scotland. This booklet is to help teachers use and explain the draw tools icons to their students. I was well versed in Artworks on the Acorns but PC's are fairly new to me. You bunch of mouse pushers have been a grat help to me and I would like to thank you even before I receive any replies.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Welcome to the Forums. God I can't remember the last time I used Artworks, it must be over 5 years ago.

The easy answer to your question (where are the icons kept) I'm afraid I cant answer. The easiest way to reproduce them is to do a "Screen Grab" using the Print Screen key on your keyboard, and then Edit/Paste this screen grab into XaraX. Then create a rectangle and Arrange / Combine Shapes / Slice Shapes. Then you can save each icon off as a giff.
    Egg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Can't add to Egg's comments about the icons, but have to welcome you with the news that I also:

1. <LI>Teach in Scotland
      <LI>Came to Xara via Acorn Artworks and Draw
      <LI>Enjoy sailing!

Mine's an Impala (see pic, freely acknowledged to be way off-topic). So do you by any chance sail an Albacore?

http://www.petestack.com/images/links/flyalisont.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

Forgot to extend the hand of welcome to Albacore.

Welcome.

I'm not Scotts but I do some teaching :-)

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Looks like the images are in a program DLL (Xaraxeng.dll). Some times they are in the EXE file. I saw a lot of bitmaps, and only a few icons. Various capture programs can grab these things. I was using SnagIt. I could not get anything useful. I tried some other application files, and got some icons. Not the greatest, either. Rich

Resource hacker (http://www.users.on.net/johnson/resourcehacker/) is a nice utility for grabbing items from DLL and EXE files. It can export the various icons as BMP files, which you can then resize, (and recolour in the case of transparancy. It's purple when I looked at it), but I found all the icons there...

You have to be very careful when using this program though. It can corrupt the DLL file if you change anything... (So copy the DLL that you want to look in to a new location and work with that.)

Hope this helps.
    Lothaekor

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

does copying images out of dll's and exe's, as has been suggested, conflict with your registration agreement with Xara Ltd.? I would imagine it would forbid any kind of "reverse-engineering". It sounds like snagging images in such a manner might be illegal.

If I were preparing instructional materials I'd do it the way Egg suggests or draw them from scratch as Gary P. did.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

I think it's called Microangelo, for creating icons, and it can pull icons out of most anything; exe files, etc. It is really fun for making your own icons.

I found it at several places; download.com, cnet.com/downloads, etc.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Eye Site Web Design
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

You would not be able to capture anything useful from the DLL. At least not with the application I was using. So, this is not a viable option regardless. You would be better off by going to the help files to find those images, or the on screen view. I saw long thin strips of what might have been an overlay for a tool bar. Just too small. Xara X must be able to have a unique way to use them. Rich

Thanks for the help. Yes I think I might be infringing Xara X's copyright and yes I think I will just draw the tools. Yes I sail an Albacore on the Clyde and about 10 years ago helm an Implala. Good fun downwind in a blow.
    Design is thinking made visual.