Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have some Xara files that need to be converted to Corel Draw. Does CD12 do this or is there another way?

I have some Xara files that need to be converted to Corel Draw. Does CD12 do this or is there another way?

No I'm afraid not but if you export to Emf or wmf or Ai format Corledraw can imort them but you may loose some of the attributes.
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Hello.

If you have Acrobat professional you can print a PDF and then export it into CorelDraw.

Depending on what you need to do you have several options: 1. Xaras effects (like bevel/cloud fills) will NOT be transmitted to other programs, so the only way is either PDF or bitmap.

2. If you file does not contain any special effects you can export an EPS file.

P.S. I noticed CD12 can import Xar files, but I haven't tested it yet....

Hello Raincross

CMX (Corel Media Exchange) is the file format that is closest to Corel's native font. I would try that option first.

Gary

Thanks. I will try these and let the forum know how it works. The files are uncomplicated except for the use of layers.

I don't know if CMX supports Xara layers. If not, you might need to either export the layers separately and reassemble them in DRAW, or just copy all the layers onto one layer and export that.

Gary

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

When exporting from Xar to Cmx, it's best to set up a xara file beforehand that has only one layer. Delete all layers but one & save the file** as CMX-Export.xar, Xar2Cmx.xar, _________.xar or something of that nature.

Next, copy to the clipboard what is needed from the Xara file.
    -Paste into the blank dwg that has but one layer **(mentioned above).
    -Export as cmx 16 or 32. Then all you have to do is import the cmx into your corel file.

If you export a xara file with several layers. Once in Corel it causes problems as these layers show up & are difficult if not impossible to deal with. It imports them not to different pages but with layers that I've never been able to access or deal with. Exporting from an active Xara layer with several other layers that are turned off will not matter. You get everything from the other layers too. Very strange indeed. I had it happen to me a couple times & learned about the Xar layers to Cmx inability the hard way in the last version of Xara. Havn't tried with this one yet. But for me, my method works now.

If using Tapered line, they will need to be converted to editable shape from the xara Arrange pulldown. (I hope we get an ICON for this in Xara's next release as I use this function often. It's the only menu item that I use in Xara) Minor complaint.. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

I think Gary is right. CMX does not support the export of Xara layers. At least not in a functional manner.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE

Xara X1 files exported to .ai and imported to CD 12 successfully retain layer information. Lines are converted to objects with fills and lines. Some line colors switched to their respective fill colors. All in all, I am pleased with the translation. The translated graphics all had text and none were complicated, ie. gradients, beveled, etc.

Thanks for the help.