Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yep! Anim8or is pretty cool.

Here is another one you can check out Bob.

http://www.ppmodeler.com

I only looked at the screen shots of this software, maybe another good freebee.

My Trash

HI Mike,
    Some nice images on thgre site you have...looks like you're a Poser fan too?

Really like the Eagal too.

So much software...so little time! :-)

Bob C.

Hey Bob, Yep, I've been using poser for a few years now. Do you have the program? I don't have any high end 3D software yet, so what I have revolves around poser. Its a hobby, kinda like building a model railroad more or less, serves as a really nice graphics tool as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So much software...so little time! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea, in my case, so little money.

The really good stuff is expensive.

My Trash

[This message was edited by Mike Bailey on December 24, 2003 at 12:12.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The really good stuff is expensive.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

whispers... Wings3D... free

oh, and though we have posted this before, don't forget about the free version of trueSpace 3.2

I mean if all you need is an app to assemble, color/shade/3D paint, light and render, then this little freebie is a true gem...

here's a test render of my first take on IBot... all in all pretty durn decent results from a freebie app... modeled in Wings and imported in to trueSpace as obj... lousy export options, but if you want a decent coloring/rendering solution for still shots, this one is very good...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	origbotshot.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	15854  

@Mike Bailey:

I don't have poser and up until last week no 3D software (well TuboCAD and Xara3D which I have not yet opened) But as I mention ealier in this thread I was intently looking over the past few weeks to "get involved".

Wings3D's name (thanks again gidgit) keep popping up all over the place. Even comments like..."I use it to moderl then finish in Maya"!!!

I tried it and it really "fit" my style well enough and was able to make a model using a basic tutourial even when part of the wings UI did not follow the tutuorial properly I was able to work it out.

Blender also seems like it will be a world class piece of (Free) Software if the UI gets reasonable.

Seems to me if Wings3D added a render and animation secton it too would be unbeatable.

Then I found Anim8or and am checking that out...Sigh!..so little time! Bigger SIGH!

@gidgit;
    Yep no doubt about it that IBot rendering looks great.

What has "lousy exports", TrueSpace?

Bob C.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I was intently looking over the past few weeks to "get involved".
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to 3D Bob.

My Trash

You guys have listed every application under the sun except one major one super awesome one. Blender! www.blender3d.org Weighing in at under 3 megs, anyone can afford to install this baby. The features list is way too wide to list here. Go check it out at the website if you're interested. But some things it can do is NURBS, Subdivision surfaces, IK/FK, import major file formats like PSD and the likes. Native import/export of DXF files...and the list goes on. The learning curve is a bit steep, though. It's almost to the point of using 3D Max or Cinema 4D.