Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Reading Doug's post on Snapping to Grid and recalling an earlier post dealing with arcs (Circles and Arcs) got me to thinking about one of my minor peeves with Xara X, which is the lack of an arc tool (i.e. a quickshape tool that allows you to draw and change an arc angle while keeping it a section of a perfect circle).

My recent discovery of the wonders of the ClipView tool got me to thinking that it might be useful in a workaround for an arc tool. Below is what I came up with and I thought I'd share just in case others were interested.

- Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arc_using_Clipview.gif 
Views:	435 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	2511  

Reading Doug's post on Snapping to Grid and recalling an earlier post dealing with arcs (Circles and Arcs) got me to thinking about one of my minor peeves with Xara X, which is the lack of an arc tool (i.e. a quickshape tool that allows you to draw and change an arc angle while keeping it a section of a perfect circle).

My recent discovery of the wonders of the ClipView tool got me to thinking that it might be useful in a workaround for an arc tool. Below is what I came up with and I thought I'd share just in case others were interested.

- Pete

What a good idea Pete, thanks for sharing this with us.

I thought at first on reading this that you might just as well intersect but by using the clip view you leave an arc that is fully adjustable - brilliant...

Christine
    Christine

Software: XDPX9, WD9,WD10,XDPX10,WD11,XDPX11,XDP365

That's really cool. I hope Doug is reading this.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    Be it ever so humble...</a>

http://www.thuntek.net/gwp/flag.png

thats a new wanted function for CAD-like interface for Xara 11

I tried Peter's process for creating arcs and not only is it ingenious, it does indeed create a "perfect" arc.

Along with this method for creating arcs and the tip from Luciano to turn off the scale line widths button (so object outlines are centered on grid) I believe I'm back on the Xara X bandwagon.

I guess I won't have to download CorelDRAW 10 afterall. That one was for you Gary [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

More on arcs. Part of my previous problem was related to the fact that when you you use the create circle, convert to editable shapes, break apart process for creating arcs something weird happens. When you use this process, at the break apart step the arc is changed slightly so that it is no longer a perfect 90 degree arc. I've attached an example to show this.

Anyway, using Peter's method you can create a perfect 90 degree arc.

Very cool work around. Some kind of arc tool would be nice though.

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gap.png 
Views:	341 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	16776  

Doug -

Glad you found the idea useful - your posts got me thinking about it! One thing I failed to mention (which might be obvious to regular users of the ClipView function) is that you can click on the *other* keyhole icon to edit all of the normal properties of the arc (radius, line weight, color, fill, etc.).

- Pete