Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally OT

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

Sorry I don't know where else to get advice. My 18 month computer came with Adaptec CD Creator and Direct CD. Well I have used the Direct CD part of the program to create CD's and have not until today tried to use the CD Creator which is the program to copy CD's. Crash, Crash, Crash. So go to their site only to find out #1 my 3.5 version has no support because it is now owned by some other company who now is in version 6!! ( from 3.5 to 6 in 18 months! no way apparently I got shafted by the outfit I bought my computer from.

Okay do I have to use this brand of software for my write/ re-write CD drive. and if not does someone know of a reliable software package?

Sniff, sniff.
    Judi

Sorry I don't know where else to get advice. My 18 month computer came with Adaptec CD Creator and Direct CD. Well I have used the Direct CD part of the program to create CD's and have not until today tried to use the CD Creator which is the program to copy CD's. Crash, Crash, Crash. So go to their site only to find out #1 my 3.5 version has no support because it is now owned by some other company who now is in version 6!! ( from 3.5 to 6 in 18 months! no way apparently I got shafted by the outfit I bought my computer from.

Okay do I have to use this brand of software for my write/ re-write CD drive. and if not does someone know of a reliable software package?

Sniff, sniff.
    Judi

B's Recorder Gold
    http://www.bhacorp.com/

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

try NERO Burning ROM

It's just fantastic. No tweaking, no hassle, supports all recorders, burns DVD's as well. And if you should invest into a firewire CD burner, it will handle this one as well. Or an external SCSI subsystem. Or a USB burner. Just install and run it.

Nero is even more reliable, stable and versatile than any Linux burner application <sigh, shame on Linux in this case)

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Adaptec is now owned by Roxio and the products are worse for the change. I also have version 3.5 of Easy CD Creator/Direct CD. I have had OK luck using Easy CD Creator, but it is temperamental. If you are having problems, uninstall and reinstall it and you should be able to use it. I've had to do this a couple of times. I find Easy CD Creator only works right if I use the wizard and create the CD from the wizard dialog box. Otherwise, it doesn't "finish" the CD and I end up with another coaster.

Another trick with Easy CD Creator: always select "Do the Test." If you have any problems they will show up during the test and you won't waste a blank CD-R.

I tried version 6.0 and was dismayed by how awful the product had become. It was so-so before, but now it sucks big time! Silly me, I thought they would improve it and eliminate the bugs!

I was recently looking into a new CD burning software package, and tried a simple one off the internet, but it kept crashing. I have heard Nero Burning is the best and have downloaded the demo version, but haven't tried it yet.

BTW, version 3.5 of Easy CD/Direct CD will not work with Win2000 Pro or WinXP.

http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...&ul=1101906325
    Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

even I can use it. For the first couple of times, I had difficulty finding the button and then I found it was really logical. Their website has a long list of supported CD-drives and I suggest you check for yours, first, just in case, but you could always ask them. The UK price is pretty cheap so I guess it should be affordable in US.

Jon
    Jon

I've been working on this problem all day with no success. I downloaded the Nero and it seems to be an easy to use program, and my CD R/RW drive is compatible. The program copies the CD just fine but won't write to the blank CD. I get an error message "track following error" I check out the possible reasons for the error and one stood out as a big possible. "Recent replacement of Mother Board, that has not been configured right". I had to have a new one put in last month and things have not been right since. Half the time it boots up only to the point where my wallpaper is showing but that is all. Or when it is almost finished booting up it will start the process all over again, with that nasty warning "You did not shut down properly" I have no idea how to fix that.

Thanks Rich for the info on the later versions of Adaptec. Guess I'll just have to forget that program as I need to upgrade to Windows XP so I can get the new Painter 8.

Judi

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

sorry to hear you are having trouble with your new board.

However, your problem with Nero and your CD burner seems to be that you want to perform a packet writing to the CD, that means a CD-RW action. Before you will be able to use your CD-RW you have to format it. This means you will have to dl the packet writing plug-in from the ahead (nero) site and install it. The standard burning app won't be able to perform this task - it can only delete a CD partition.

The CD format command will set up a file system on your CD-RW, so that you can copy your files. No file system - no CD-RW.

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Jens,
    I downloaded the INCD packet (which was the only packet I could find) You can only install it if you have the purchased copy of Nero. I don't mind purchasing it if I know it is going to work.

Does the packet also format CD-R? I would think that is one I would choose. Nero would not copy to CD-R either.

Regards,
    Judi

http://fasolt.mtcc.com/~mom/xsquirrel.gif

My Stuff

Hi Judy,

Like Jens and others I use Nero and I'm very happy with it's reliability and ease of use.

Here in Australia Nero is shipped with a high percentage of drives & I have found that is more economical to buy the latest (greatest ) drive that comes shipped with Nero.

Worth investigating...
    Dave P