Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: indentions

Recently I saw (and can't find now!!!) a huge interface that was basically in shades of brown and orange that had a heckuva lot of shading.

One of my weak spots is in creating the "depressed" ovals that I saw in that graphic.

Basically they were ovals that looked like someone had sliced a medication capsule lengthwise and the backside of it was indented into the page. The shading was such that it looked indented into the page. Very nice shading effects.

Gary, Ross...do you remember that page and can you give me a tip on how to create "indented" spots?

Thanks!

Recently I saw (and can't find now!!!) a huge interface that was basically in shades of brown and orange that had a heckuva lot of shading.

One of my weak spots is in creating the "depressed" ovals that I saw in that graphic.

Basically they were ovals that looked like someone had sliced a medication capsule lengthwise and the backside of it was indented into the page. The shading was such that it looked indented into the page. Very nice shading effects.

Gary, Ross...do you remember that page and can you give me a tip on how to create "indented" spots?

Thanks!

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Spotz - I think what you are looking for is this page.

Do try this little experiment:
    - draw a rectangle and give it a nice solid fill colour like yellow (my fav colour [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )
    - draw a circle on top of the rectangle and give it the same colour fill. Give it no line colour.
    - apply a bevel to the circle. Observe that the default settings make it look like it is proud of the background rather than recessed.
    - With the bevel tool still active (circle still selected too), adjust the arrow on the bevel that modifies the light angle. Note that if spun 180 degrees the bevel looks recessed.

The effect is based on our brains assuming light tends to come from above. Play with the effect and you will have control over how engraved your buttons look.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

The Carved stone topic in Tips and Tricks area (Please start tihs up again!!!!) by Gary is the one I find useful for this subject.

Link to Carved Stone tip

Turan

Ross:

It's true that the page you referenced was a good one. However, the very first example on that page is the best one, as it has little highlights that the others don't have. That is, its indention is not so sharp. I have created many indentions that are like the other examples and know those tricks. What I don't know is how to get it to look as classy as that first example. It has a very soft edge, which is what I am looking for.

You're also right. That is the graphic to which I was referring. Bert obviously has way too much time on his hands. He probably works for INTEL. I'm not sure what the usage, if any, of his graphic is, but it sure is impressive--if not for content, then just for skill alone.

I think I should give up on being an artist. I can copy nearly anybody's ideas, but you real artists (like Gary) have the original ideas. The art is in the idea--the craftsmanship is in the execution.

Most of us just apply what we know and hope that somebody will pay us for it.

However, the strangest thing in the graphics world that I have seen so far is the lack of acceptance of XARA by the majority. I have used it since its inception and have always loved it. If it were also able to work with raster concepts as well as it works with vectors, then I would probably sleep with my computer. Instead, I just sleep AT my computer...

Netspotz,

It great to see you've got a good sense of humor to go along with your well rounded perspective of things. I enjoy your commentary.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

For softer edges try the feathering tool. In looking at the softened image refered to I think it could easily be reproduced by:

- make the indentation by using two shapes. The top one slightly smaller than the one below. (using contour tool & its 'inset path' option are a great way to do this - better than stretching rounded shapes).

- The one below is given a light colour and gets feathered. Applying a linear transparency gives you some control over where it looks like the light is coming from. You can apply/adjust that transparency after completing the next step.

- For the top-most shape, create the indentation look. One effective way is by applying a linear two-colour fill. For my example below I used elliptical fills. the shape can be feathered slightly too.

- Sit back and enjoy your creation. You are a Xara god! Now even gods can do better: try out variations and have some more good clean creative fun. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	softindent.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	14021  

Dear Ross:

I think that my progression of dying brain cells should obviously be considered by Guinness, as I can't seem to duplicate your steps.

Can you dumb it down a tad?

Sorry... but there are probably others out there who could use your expertise.