Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I guess I am confused about Used Names created in the Names Gallery when you perform an export function.

My understanding is that by selecting the Used Name and clicking on right-arrowhead to the right of the name, that automatically exports the objects originally associated with the name (which remembers export file type, directory, dpi, etc.)

When I try this, however, it does not work. My test was this. Select a blue rectangle and export it via File > Export. This sets up a used name equal to the export file name. Next, give the square a new color and then select and export the square and via the Name Gallery. It seems to work, BUT when I import the file back into Xara it is the original blue rectangle.

Can anyone with experience using the Name Gallery explain how exporting from the gallery is SUPPOSED to work. Please.

Thanks, John

I guess I am confused about Used Names created in the Names Gallery when you perform an export function.

My understanding is that by selecting the Used Name and clicking on right-arrowhead to the right of the name, that automatically exports the objects originally associated with the name (which remembers export file type, directory, dpi, etc.)

When I try this, however, it does not work. My test was this. Select a blue rectangle and export it via File > Export. This sets up a used name equal to the export file name. Next, give the square a new color and then select and export the square and via the Name Gallery. It seems to work, BUT when I import the file back into Xara it is the original blue rectangle.

Can anyone with experience using the Name Gallery explain how exporting from the gallery is SUPPOSED to work. Please.

Thanks, John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My understanding is that by selecting the Used Name and clicking on right-arrowhead to the right of the name, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This displays a dialog box that lets you select the file format to export in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When I try this, however, it does not work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Select one or more(batch Export), named objects and click the export button re_exports the named objects.

John

Here are two links that use the Name Gallery and the Export settings

Image Slicing - A Basic Tutorial

Gary
    And Rollover Buttons and Backbar Tutorial

Thanks, folks.

John

I finally found the explanation in the Help File. I don't know how I missed it before:

"NAME GALLERY - EXPORT PROPERTIES

These options are used when export graphics as a series of slices - see Image slicing overview.

Displays a dialog box that lets you select the file format to export in. The file name is the same as the name in the Name Gallery. The destination folder you select here is ignored: all the sliced graphics must be in the same folder and so the destination folder is that selected when you export the slices. Note that clicking Apply just stores the selected options; it doesn't save a bitmap. (That is done when you slice the image.)

©1995-2001 Xara Ltd."

That's why I referred you to the image slicing tutorial, John :-)

Gary