Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polaroid pics

I am having difficulty understanding how to make shapes truly three dimensional.

I have tried to create a polaroid picture holder/card/thingy (don't know what you call them) but it doesn't look very real. It's still got a flat 2 dimensional look. How do I make it look rounded and 3D?

I'd also like to give it a slightly stippled, cardboardy type fill, but don't yet know how to do that.

All suggestion gratefully received. This is the first time I've posted an image here, please be gentle!

..........Later, how do upload the pic so it appears here instead of just being an attachment? Sorry to be so thick.

Thanks J
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am having difficulty understanding how to make shapes truly three dimensional.

I have tried to create a polaroid picture holder/card/thingy (don't know what you call them) but it doesn't look very real. It's still got a flat 2 dimensional look. How do I make it look rounded and 3D?

I'd also like to give it a slightly stippled, cardboardy type fill, but don't yet know how to do that.

All suggestion gratefully received. This is the first time I've posted an image here, please be gentle!

..........Later, how do upload the pic so it appears here instead of just being an attachment? Sorry to be so thick.

Thanks J

Probably because of the way I've created this element, when I rotate the picture slightly, the corners appear jaggedy, I have anti-aliasing turned on when I created it.

As I am hoping to use these for a magazine ad (print layout), I need them to look smooth and real.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

I added some bevelling and fill variations. Hope this helps somewhat...

Randy Allen

"Wherever you go, there you are."
    Randy Allen

Randy Allen Photography

Thanks Randy,

It's certainly an improvement, how did you get the shadow inside?

As to the fill, I am trying to get a VERY subtle cardboard effect. I'm at a bit of a loss.

I'd very much like to know how to post a piccy here instead of a downloadable attachment.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] J

Not sure if this is what you had in mind or not.

Alan.

http://acdesign.port5.com/test/poloroid_test.xar

Alan, your pic seems to have a broken link??

Lets try this again..

What fill did you use and how did you (if at all) modify it Alan? It's very close to what I want, I'll try making it a bit paler.

Thanks a bunch. J [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I didn't use any fill, I used Transparency Tool.

What I did was make a copy of the main image shape, and made sure I removed all bevels that I had added.

Next I changed its colour from grey to orange, and dragged it directly over top of the original image.

While the new image is selected I used the Trasparency Tool (Fractal plasma, bleach, repeating tile, 504 dpi).

Thats It [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The Trasparncy Tool is really cool, I have been playing around with it alot this evening. I'll post some of experiments if your intersted. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hope this helps,

Alan.