Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I hardly know where to start, there is so much new this month. I guess with Happy Easter for openers.

The April Xara Tutorial A rustic, ivy covered stucco wall with a faded advertisement for Mail Pouch Tobacco and an exposed section of old brick.

Dave Cockburn April's Featured Artist After all the high tech hard-edged illustration we have featured in previous months, we take a levity break and feature some really fun and stylish cartoon images and game board illustrations.

Guest Tutorial #14 by Paul Söderholm creates a peaceful seascape with rolling waves capped with white geese. Paul has done an exceptional job making a difficult illustration easy.

Renaud Gombert's excellent Plug-in Filters Group are featured in the Shareware Page. These free two sets of plug-in filters can be used to create some facinating effects both to photo bitmaps and vector drawings converted to bitmaps.

Brushes and Fills Page is pleased to have two brand new additions created by Christine Farrelly. A set of fishscale fills and the splendidly inventive and festive collection of Star Brushes. They are so very extravagant!

There are new Links in the Links page, new Tips in the Tips of the Week page, and more goodies hidden here and there.

Generous thanks for all who contributed to this month's XaraXone.

Comments, compliments, and kudos are always welcome as are revelations of typos and mislinked pages and images.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on March 31, 2002 at 17:15.]

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on April 01, 2002 at 05:29.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	April_promo.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	13477  

I hardly know where to start, there is so much new this month. I guess with Happy Easter for openers.

The April Xara Tutorial A rustic, ivy covered stucco wall with a faded advertisement for Mail Pouch Tobacco and an exposed section of old brick.

Dave Cockburn April's Featured Artist After all the high tech hard-edged illustration we have featured in previous months, we take a levity break and feature some really fun and stylish cartoon images and game board illustrations.

Guest Tutorial #14 by Paul Söderholm creates a peaceful seascape with rolling waves capped with white geese. Paul has done an exceptional job making a difficult illustration easy.

Renaud Gombert's excellent Plug-in Filters Group are featured in the Shareware Page. These free two sets of plug-in filters can be used to create some facinating effects both to photo bitmaps and vector drawings converted to bitmaps.

Brushes and Fills Page is pleased to have two brand new additions created by Christine Farrelly. A set of fishscale fills and the splendidly inventive and festive collection of Star Brushes. They are so very extravagant!

There are new Links in the Links page, new Tips in the Tips of the Week page, and more goodies hidden here and there.

Generous thanks for all who contributed to this month's XaraXone.

Comments, compliments, and kudos are always welcome as are revelations of typos and mislinked pages and images.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<A HREF="http://www.gwpriester.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on March 31, 2002 at 17:15.]

[This message was edited by Gary W. Priester on April 01, 2002 at 05:29.]

... to put the so nice Christine's brushes in the Swap Shop this week (She has sent me them so kindly). Thanks to do it, Gary!

I love Dave Cockburn cartoons !!!

Friendly,
    ivan

... month, Gary! Well done! Great job on the Ivy tutorial, very enjoyable!

Dave's illustrations are superb! Very clean and consistent - very professional! SUPER!

Paul - thanks for putting the tutorial together! I found your techniques to be very efficient and the result is very pleasing! Thanks for sharing!

Christine - I'm almost afraid to say it... "You could make some good money with your excellent brushes!"... Thanks for sharing - you work is appreciated!

Risto

risto@ristoklint.com

Visit my web site!

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

speaks for me.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

Gary - Great tutorial. Excellent use of transparencies and brush.

Dave - Love your drawings.

Paul - Love the tutorial, I've always wanted to know how you got that great water look.

Renaud - Very nice plug-ins, great effects.

Christine - Great Brushes, thanks for sharing. I love the effects they make.

Thanks everyone!

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I was born and raised in the most southwestern corner of Pennsylvania. Mail Pouch employed one man to paint Chew Mail Pouch onto the sides of barns in this rural area. He traveled throughout Ohio, West Virginia, and Pennsylvania.

My father introduced me to this man, who had quite a few stories to tell. When he retired somewhere around 1979, that was the end of an era. He worked alone, and there were no apprentices to follow in his footsteps.

What I found interesting, was the fact that he did so many barns and yet never used stencils for the lettering. It was all done freehand in yellow paint on a black background. He would paint the black on the prominent (road facing) side of the barn one day, then letter it the next day.

I am at work now, but believe I have some artwork at home that has one of the actual barns in it. I will attempt to scan it later. I also have some work I did several years ago that closely resembles what this folk icon did. Sorry, it was not done in Xara, as I did not discover Xara until 1999. But you may find it interesting.

Thanks Gary for reliving some of my old memories.

Mike
    "You can't grill 'em, 'til you kill 'em"
    Ted Nugent

to everyone for all your excellent contributions to this months XaraZone.

Phil

Here is a partial scanned painting of an actual barn about two miles from where I grew up.

The barn has since collapsed. The painting was done in 1987 as a promotion for a local bank.

Mike

Name:	mail_pouch_painting.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	141.1 KB 
ID:	19328  
    Ted Nugent

I did this in 1998 before discovering Xara. It was done with CorelDraw.

Someday when I can find time, I'd like to recreate it using Xara.

Mike

Name:	mail_pouch.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	14150  
    Ted Nugent