Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: PDF

http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gifI am new to your forum and need help.
    I created a 52-page publication using the options to make the layout a booklet. I need to save the project in PDF for my printer (that's the only format he'll accept) but then it doesn't keep the booklet layout.
    I do not have Distiller. Any solution ?
    IP

You may be running out of memory. Allocate more to DRAW in your Options. I have a gig of RAM and DRAW gets 60% not 20% which is default. Solves a lot of problems.

There are many printers that use CorelDRAW, I work for one of them. Try calling around in your city and find out which printer can take your file and help you.

If you have lots of layers, it is a lot more work for DRAW to change the pagination for you. If you have to do it manually to succeed then build a dummy paper booklet and mark all your page numbers in that and cut and paste. You will need to have two copies of DRAW open to do that. It sounds time consuming but if you have to get your publication to print, then you have to do something. I used to use 10 and 10 would not switch over for doing the signatures when I asked. 12 is much better, I've never had problems with it. If you have 8, it is far more stable than 10, you can save down to 8, do your pagination and resave. Then open in 10 as 8 may not be able to work with the latest post script language.

Additionally, what printers don't tell you is that their plate makers often can do the imposition for you, but you have a printer which doesn't use CorelDRAW. Not all AB Dick RIP's (Raster Image Processors) can do imposition, but most can.

It is a problem with InDesign, the replacement for PageMaker, it doesn't come with the Build Booklet plugin, you have to buy it and it costs $100.00.

You have 13 signatures in a 52 page book, you can create smaller publications if you don't have enough resources and it will still plate right if you use your dummy booklet.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP

Thank you very much for your help.
    I have Draw11 and it works right with the imposition it just will not save it that way (booklet form) using "Publish to PDF".
    I live in France and Corel is not that popular unfortunately.
    The printer I deal with prints with a Laser Printer. They can do the imposition but sometimes there are problems.
    So I ended up printing to PDF from the Print Preview menu : Draw did the imposition and I used a free PDF software choosing prepress quality (CutePDF). I just got the booklet ans it looks very good.
    Thank you for your explanations I learned a lot. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    IP

With shorter booklets I have done my imposition by hand, taking my letter-size pages and pasting them on to tabloid-size artboard in DRAW. I hadn't worked in publishing for many years and with the advent of computers, there was much I had to learn to do differently.

But it hasn't been bad.

Because I have my platemaker right there and we use DRAW all day long, I haven't had to send off a multipage document via .pdf. So it is something to keep in mind.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Every day's a new day, "draw" on what you've learned.

Sally M. Bode
    IP