Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why ?

Yesterday i downloaded Illustrator 10, i tried it, it has a nice features but yet it does not have the old Xara & corel Features(ex. interactive transparency, and fills)
    the blend tool is ugly in AI and manythings.

Why then CorelDraw or XaraX is not the professional choice ?
    ( more artists use Adobe Products)
    Are Adobe smarter than others?
    Is it because it is American product?
    or what?

I want to know your opinion.

My opinion, Adobe is smarter ( not because it has features others don't, it is the oposite) They are smart in Advertising and marketing, they pay a lot of money for it>

Almost everyone In kuwait, when they want to drink a soda they say i want pepsi ,Pepsi means soda, we are programmed to say

This is not a joke.

person 1 : "i want pepsi"
    person 2 :" what kind?"
    person 1: " 7up please"

maybe that is the case with Adobe !!!!!!!!!!!

I think CorelDraw 10 And XaraX is much better than AI 10.

Yesterday i downloaded Illustrator 10, i tried it, it has a nice features but yet it does not have the old Xara & corel Features(ex. interactive transparency, and fills)
    the blend tool is ugly in AI and manythings.

Why then CorelDraw or XaraX is not the professional choice ?
    ( more artists use Adobe Products)
    Are Adobe smarter than others?
    Is it because it is American product?
    or what?

I want to know your opinion.

My opinion, Adobe is smarter ( not because it has features others don't, it is the oposite) They are smart in Advertising and marketing, they pay a lot of money for it>

Almost everyone In kuwait, when they want to drink a soda they say i want pepsi ,Pepsi means soda, we are programmed to say

This is not a joke.

person 1 : "i want pepsi"
    person 2 :" what kind?"
    person 1: " 7up please"

maybe that is the case with Adobe !!!!!!!!!!!

I think CorelDraw 10 And XaraX is much better than AI 10.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Gary has written before that the market share of Illustrator in professional graphic design offices really comes down to momentum and resistance to change.

With all due respect to Gary, my understanding of his thesis (plus my own two cents worth) is as follows: Computers first became viable graphic design tools with the development of the Mac. Illustrator and Freehand were Mac applications that offered graphic designers capibilities they had to have - but didn't really want. The early graphics firms that adopted Macs weren't computer lovers - technology was thrust upon them. Those reluctant designers learned Macs and Illustrator/Freehand/Photoshop/Pagemaker. The print industry computerized right along side of them to reproduce what their programs were exporting. Remember in those days the PC alternative was DOS! It is no wonder the Mac was so popular with designers. Apple and Adobe recognized the foothold they had and developed aggressive programs to get Macs & Mac software into design schools. The result was new graduates who knew Illustrator and firms that only knew Illustrator and print shops who only knew how to service Illustrator users. There was very little incentive to adopt other platforms/software even if they were better.

The development of PC versions of Mac programs didn't make the Mac users switch to PC's. Rather it helped maintain the mac-dominated status quo in design firms because it made their software more compatible with their PC dominated clients.

Gary has noted that a friend of his was a key player in developing CorelDraw for the Mac. Apparently Corel was very successful at showing Mac/Illustrator users that CorelDraw was better. Problem was that even though the superiority was recognized the users weren't interested in change. It was far easier for the users to stick with the status quo. I find it interesting that the North American CAD software market has autocad as a similar defacto standard. Even when better software is clearly available there is no movement away from the firmly established autocad.

Now what can Xara Ltd. do? Advertising to graphic designers is probably hopeless. I say forget them. To me the real market for Xara is everyone who owns a PC. Existing Xara users can play a big part in spreading the word about Xara and how good it is. Most PC users don't need to develop advanced pro-quality images. They don't need to learn to master Xara, and after watching the little xara movies most will be able to do what they want.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

IBM who established the DOS platform did not see the need for a graphical user interface and did not see the professional design market as being large enough to warrant any attention.

Meanwhile Apple was donating Apple II computers to schools and kids were leaning how fun computers could be. And they were ingrained with the notion of how clumsy and difficult using a PC was. Apple reenforced this stereotypical image long after Windows was introduced.

Apple over the years has had consistently great advertising. IBM's advertising efforts have been all across the board, although in recent years, I think their ads have been powerful and on strategy.

Microsoft has advertised and promoted Windows with increasing sophistication and has in essence steam rollered the Macintosh OS into the ground.

Today, nearly everybody uses Windows. Except the professional design community.

But advertising alone is not the answer. This was proved by Corel who spent a vast sum of money trying to win the design market. While Corel succeeded on the Windows side (along with the fact that the Windows versions of the Mac-based design applications were always given the back seat) the ads were so wimpy and dumb that Corel dug themselves deeper and deeper into a marketing hole from which they have never managed to dig out of.

Xara's success has been strictly word of mouth. The advertsing done in the UK by Xara has not been anything to write home about.

I think that Xara is a terrific illustration and web site graphics application and that is how it should be marketed. But in order to advertise and market Xara X, Xara Ltd. has to sell enough product to generate the funds needed. Currently the money being generated by sales goes back into product research and development. Not a bad way to build superior products. But not a real good way to expand the user base.

(Gary--are you done?) Yes, I think I am done now.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

http://www.gwpriester.com/flag.gif

So it is all about History

people don't like to change, i geuss i have an idea now

But i want to share this idea, Is it because that Adobe pays a lot of money to designer, and that's why you see millions of Adobe products tutorials? almost on a weekly basis a new tutorials is posted on the web

I think if we have more sites dedicated to XaraX plus more banner ads on a well known graphics site will help new poeple to encourage using XaraX

" i think so [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] "

Aj

It is also about numbers. The installed base for Illustrator is huge.

Many of the moves and features are the same in all vector applications and if you see a cool Illustrator tutorial, you should be able to recreate it in Xara.

I get messages from time to time from folks who are doing my Xara tutorials in CorelDRAW.

If you cannot figure out how to translate some Illustrator function into Xara, post the problem here and I'm sure someone will have a good work-around.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

http://www.gwpriester.com/flag.gif

a Quete from David

"I must add a little history. One of the earliest graphics applications for Windows was called Designer, which was created by Micrografx. This same company also purchased a photo-editing program called Picture Publisher from a little-known outfit. About the same time, Corel released DRAW and the equivalent of an arms race was on in earnest. Where were Photoshop and Illustrator? They were around but they were only available on a Mac. This product feature race was so intense that every year at COMDEX it was fun to go to each booth as they showed how their product had either more or better features than the other. They were great days, but all good things must pass and due to very poor marketing choices by both companies it wasn't long before Designer faded into obscurity and DRAW (while still a popular consumer product) lost ground to Illustrator as a choice of professionals. Corel almost faded out of existence but has come back (mostly) and Micrografx was delisted from NASDAQ this year when their stock dropped almost out of sight (One too many chili cookoffs? - Ed.). They were finally bought by... Corel in the third quarter. So what is Corel going to do with their product line? Good question, the answer to which more than one financial analyst would like to know.

I liked this part the most
    "but all good things must pass and due to very poor marketing choices by both companies "

Yes Gary this a great idea, to post things done in Illustrator, and see how XaraX does it
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Now i am going to AI 10 to get this post busy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Here guys, while playing with AI 10 i followed a tutorial for creating a phone cord in AI

I tried my best to achive the same result as AI but could not. so l posted the files

CorelDraw and XaraX had the same result.

This should be easy for you XaraX's

Note: In XaraX is more superior than AI brushes
    and can acheive marvolus effects, as seen in this post , but the idea is to show how it is done in XaraX
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_profile.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	17511  

AI file

I know they are big files [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Name:	brush_profile.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	2953  

file [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Name:	brush_profile.jpg 
Views:	345 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	17410