Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I agree with the others your 2D should have been submitted in the challenge. I get a Native American feel from it. Very nice.

You better not show me your techniques for animation I might get into trouble around my house. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The wood bowl is almost there. I think you need to cut some wood out of the ridges on the left side. Let some background peek through there. And there seems to be something about the lower left edge. Maybe it is too crisp and sharp. Possibly feather it some or shade it I'm not sure.

Dale Fipp...

Hi Soquili, I love them all, but, and this coming from a gay man, I love the sexy little woman shaking her 'bon bon'. I LOVE HER!!!

The bowl looks really life like and the batman, of course, is just wonderful to me.

The plastic sign is the only one that made me think "hmmm, that's a little off looking" the perspective seems a bit squewed in the inner bevel compared to the outer bevel. Plastic has a more reflective quality to it. So maybe add some mre defined highlights to it and not feather them so much?? I don't know. I feel weird giving advice when I am still learning how myself. But that is what "popped" into my head to write.

Like the 2D just fine and the trees (done with a fill or not??, if not how did you do it?? Plazma fill of some sort??)

I think the ghost is really cute.

That's it, thank you so much for sharing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

RAMwolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Maya, I didn't intend to be holding out [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] wasn't sure if they were ready to be posted. Finally decided to ask for some advise [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Neil, thank you for the compliments.

Bruce, nice to see you posting again. I love the dancing leprecaun animation in the St. Pat thread.

Dale, you found the weak point of the bowl. That's what I've been trying to get correct. When I cut out the grooves, it makes the image look very flat. I'll keep trying. Thanks.

RAMWolff, thanks. The advice about the "Plastic" makes perfect sense, I'll give it a try. The trees use one of the fills from the Xara X CD. Derek's tutorial explains it far better than I can.

Bruce and Dale, the story about the first doodle is:
    The first design is based on a vision I was given. The circle in the center represents the circle of life. Each colour represents one of the cardinal directions. East is represented by the colour yellow which represents the knowledge the Creator gives us. The east also represent the beginning of our life's journey, our birth. South is represented by the colour red, the healing spirits the Creator sends are from the south. This would represent the adalesent years of our life. The West is represented by the colour black. This is the direction where Thunder Beings reside. Thunderstorms come from the West, bringing death and destruction, but also bringing the life giving rain. West represents our adult years. North is represented by the colour white. The cold winds of winter come from the north and bring the time that Mother Earth rests so She can conserve her energy for the coming spring. North represents our elder years. The circle of life is completed when we return to the Creator. The green colour represents the Mother Earth, and the bifurcated ends represent the duality in all things.

I added the horses for two reasons, one is because of my name. The second is because of the belief that when it is our time to shed the physical robe and travel the spirit path, the spirit horse will appear to help us start our journey.

The remaining symbol is of the eagle. The eagle is highly revered by Native Americans.

Everyone's comments are greatly appreciated. I'll try and make the changes you've recommended.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Good stuff!

The first 'doodle' is a great use of symmetry, and great color usage. I also feel a Native American tilt to it.

Batman is good, but he looks more like the newer version that's on TV now (my kids watch it), where I always preferred the older version.
    Holy Art Critic, Batman!

I like the moon in the ghost pic. You could use that same fill to make some dark clouds across the sky, and maybe cut out the ghost's facial features and let the background show through.

Your "Plastic Display"is very good. Looks like that plastic they put in American car dashboards!
    It would make a nice banner for a pager company.

"Trees" is just great!

And your little sweet thang! Hummina Hummina!

Your bowl looks excellent at first take. But something does seem off when I study it. Could the lip of the bowl need a little tweaking to show some perspective? Shouldn't the back edge, being furthest from the POV, be skinnier than the front, with the sides tapering between them? Or is the backside a little too tall? I struggle with that anytime I have a round perspective.

Hope I helped. You always do such wonderful work.

"I'm not an artist, but I play one on the internet!"
    "I'm not an artist, but I play one on the internet!"

&nbsp
    Love them doodles!!!

Ain't art fun?

By the way, the problem I see with your bowl is this: if you look at the grain pattern on the outside and compare it to the pattern on the inside, they match almost exactly, a physical impossiblity. I think simply varying the pattern on the inside will go a long ways to making the grain much more interesting and not repetitious. The grain should be a continuation, not a duplication.

That's my two scents..

Dale the Elder (and I wish, the wiser)

Why, I’m afraid I can’t explain myself, sir, because I’m not myself, you know...
    - Lewis Carroll

Gary, Thank you. I've been wondering about the perspective on the bowl. I'll have to work on it.
    The Batman is actually modeled after the Bob Kane drawing used on the cover of the oldest comic books. I haven't seen the new series, I'll have to check it out.

Dale Thanks, the wood grain is too repetitious. I'll correct that while working on the left side problems.

Soquili

If the attached image would be a copyright violation, I'll remove it. Please let me know.
    [This message was edited by Soquili on March 16, 2002 at 21:20.]

[This message was edited by Soquili on March 16, 2002 at 21:25.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmantitle.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	17202  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi Soquili
    I had been so busy trying to take some classes online that I did not have much time to visit the forum. I do enjoy being back as I am not taking classes anymore. Thank you for sharing about the colors in the circle in your first doodle. I knew about them but now the rest of the forum members will know the meaning of the four colors in the center circle. The horse and eagle are a good part of the picture too. In the
    past when a man died his horse and dog would be buried with him so that they would go with him in the spirit world. As for Batman, I think I like the Bob Kane version better than the new one. Good work!
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Duda duda duda duda, duda duda duda duda BATMAAAAAN, BATMAAAN, Batmaan (and Robin too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] )

I LOVE IT!!!

You didn't copyright it, you gave DC complete credit, I think it's OK, but I'm no expert. Maybe Gary's wife can say if this is safe. I'm saving a copy of it just in case. I think it's right on the money. Total tribute to Bob Kane.

thanks for sharing Soquili

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Thanks for sharing these images, Soquili. There is a lot of imagination and some very good technique here.

I particualry like the "classy" dame wiggling her wares. And the plastic example is worthy of kudos.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Wonderful Soquili, thanks for posting.

I really like your Batman image. His cape, color and shadow really sets a mood!

Your animated figure drawing is well done, did you use a ref. photo? I've been trying some figure stuff too.

The bowel is very impressive. My $.02 about the grooves:

The right side is darker so the groove/background interface is harder to see and looks fine. The left side is lighted and shows the outline of the bowl is not broken by the grooves and no backround color is there.

Perhaps zooming in and adding some background color, shadow color etc. to “remove” some of the wood in the grooved area would help.

Good stuff Soquili, keep it coming.

Bob C.