Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

HI
    I made a logo for someone and they want to print it. It only has a few different colors but the print shop has told them they need color seperation. Can anyone give me a simple explanation of this and how do I do this in Xara ? Thank you!
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Bruce,

you should check XARAXONE -> free- & shareware. There is a small plug-in from Sean Sedwards that color separates your images for printing.

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://jens.highspeedweb.net

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Bruce

Is this going to be printed in CMYK or are you using Pantone spot colors?

At any rate, you need to send your file to a service bureau which takes the file and outputs separate pieces of film for each color.

The trick is, getting the file to them in CMYK and not Xara's RGB color space.

Sean's filter, that Jayy has referred to, is for converting an RGB TIFF image into a CMYK TIFF image. But you can also send your file to a service bureau for film output as an EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) file. If you do this, convert all text to paths (Convert to Editable Shapes) and also convert any effects such as shadows and bevels, to editable shapes as well, as this will convert them into simple bitmap objects which can travel along in the EPS file along with vector objects and converted text.

If your image is very simple, and consists of solid colors, you can also use the Adobe Ilustrator export filter. But I would only advise this if you have a copy of Illustrator installed in which you can open the file to see if everything is there.

Refer to Printing and Imagesetting in WebXealot 26.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

XaraXone

Thank you
    Jens and Gary for your help. I am going to the XaraXone to check this out. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire