Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPS export

Hi, I am quite sure this has been asked before but... I am making a few simple designs in XaraX1, carefully avoiding transparency, graduations etc, so as to keep it all vector upon export. I export as XaraX EPS or Illustrator format, and upon import into PagePlus, OvationPro and InDesign, all I get it an unbelievably low-res image on display and in print. It's forcing me to use Illustrator and InDesign instead of my preferred (and already purchased) XaraX1 and PagePlus9 (Serif). Any pointers, things to check, etc would be very much welcomed!!

The low resolution image is a "preview" image that is used for placing the image.

InDesign has an option for displaying images at high resolution which is probably in the display menu and will make you feel happier.

Also, I have been amazed at all the things that do export into Xara EPS from Xara (not so in Illustrator which does not support many of Xara's features). I have exported transparency, bevels, shadows, etc. in EPS files with success.

Gary

Aha! That does the trick in InDesign. Now, if I could just manage to persuade PagePlus9 to do the same thing, I would be back in business... Anybody use PagePlus?

At least I know that it isn't XaraX's fault. This is good, because I prefer XaraX due to it's ease-of-use (and affordable price). Thanks Gary!

Michael
    I use Page Plus all the time but importing Xara EPS produces poor results. The same EPS into Corel will produce excellent results as with your experience with InDesign, but only the low res. with PP.
    I always export Tiff to Page Plus and have had excellent results when converted to PDF for printing, however EPS seem a no no.
    Why do you need to import XaraEPS to PagePlus?
    Derek

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

If you export a clean *.eps you won't have any problems in InDesign, PageMaker, Canvas X, Freehand (v9). Even with bevels, contours etc. But you shouldn't export clipviews with lines that extend the bounding box.

I usually print the *.eps files with a Linotronic printer driver and check the results with GhostScript and GhostView.

Import into any of the above mentioned apps is a breeze.

If you export to Xara X eps, you can specify the resolution from 150 dpi to 300 dpi, but I'm not sure if this will influence the previes tif quality...
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Derek: it seems a really obvious lacking in PagePlus. I hope they intend to sort it out. Most of our work is Web-based, so there's little incentive to invest in InDesign or something, but it is useful to have proper vector import. However, I shall follow your advice and use TIFF.

Thanks for the replies :-)

If you go the TIFF route, always safe, check with your printer for the best export resolution. Exporting at 300dpi will give you the resolution of a magazine. Exporting at 600dpi will give you a higher resolution more like a good catalog. This is why you need to ask your printer what resolution she or he requires.

Jens- I might be wrong, but I think the resolution setting in Xara's EPS export, determines the resolution of any embedded bitmaps. So if you have bevels, shadows, etc.,--things that are converted to bitmaps, the resolution setting will determine their output.

Gary

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Gary,

I think you are right. I've never digged into it and just set it to 300 dpi once and forever. As soon as I will have some time I'll read the help file about this topic.

BTW, some applications like Canvas re-render the bitmaps of an *.eps file on importing but remove clipviews as well, so placing the object precisely on the page is kind of tricky.

Printing to an *.eps file offers more options because you can define the resolution up to 3.251 dpi, specify the page size and all the nine yards (with the Linotronic 630 printer driver).
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Originally posted by Michael (UK):
    Derek: it seems a really obvious lacking in PagePlus. I hope they intend to sort it out.
    Don't hold your breath, it's not been fixed in v10 either. When I contacted their support people, they gave me the "what's wrong with WMF?" answer too. They spend all their time saying that the software is professional and not just for home user enthusiasts, but with such a massive gaping hole, I'd disagree.

On Earth for A Little While / With Christ for Eternity

With Illustrator being such a professional program (as they say). It's the most awkward & unintuitive program I've ever used! Flash is a close second & a bit odd as well (for me) when it comes to ease of use.

This has been a good thread. I've not had much luck with eps thus far. For me it's a matter of experimentation whenever I have to import/export the occasional eps/wmf file. Corel is always close by when these experiments are happening & seems to be the go between program for Xara getting files back'n'forth across the void.
    ----------- _~o
    ----------- '\<,, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
    ><>____(_)/ (_) - in order to gain that which he cannot loose." JE