Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

OK, it’s off-topic and I know that I should not speak of Sep. 11 in this forum but I must. I must. That date is a turning-point for our planet: there is a before and an after.

On that day senseless violence happened in the U.S., but it’s the earth that felt attacked. No, I didn’t feel sad then. After the initial shock of disbelief, I felt a strong and resolute part of me that silently but firmly said “NEVER AGAIN”. Today, more than two months after those events, outwardly I went back to my “normal” life but that part still says “never again”.

I think (a Canadian way of speaking that simply means “it’s my opinion but you may think otherwise”) that everything has a positive side, even the unspeakable. I can see three here, the first being the most important:
    1. Terrorism went so far that the nations of the earth decided to annihilate it.
    2. The start of the birth of a community of nations.
    3. New-Yorkers, usually more self-centered and minding their own business, suddenly looking at and speaking to each other.

If September 11 means something to you, I need your opinion here whether you agree with me or not.

OK, it’s off-topic and I know that I should not speak of Sep. 11 in this forum but I must. I must. That date is a turning-point for our planet: there is a before and an after.

On that day senseless violence happened in the U.S., but it’s the earth that felt attacked. No, I didn’t feel sad then. After the initial shock of disbelief, I felt a strong and resolute part of me that silently but firmly said “NEVER AGAIN”. Today, more than two months after those events, outwardly I went back to my “normal” life but that part still says “never again”.

I think (a Canadian way of speaking that simply means “it’s my opinion but you may think otherwise”) that everything has a positive side, even the unspeakable. I can see three here, the first being the most important:
    1. Terrorism went so far that the nations of the earth decided to annihilate it.
    2. The start of the birth of a community of nations.
    3. New-Yorkers, usually more self-centered and minding their own business, suddenly looking at and speaking to each other.

If September 11 means something to you, I need your opinion here whether you agree with me or not.

Hi Jean Guy,

you are right one must be positive but also vigilant because the nice ideas you expose (and I agree with them) must be protected themselve against deviations:

"1. Terrorism went so far that the nations of the earth decided to annihilate it."

I personally think that it is very difficult to have a comprehensive and global definition of terrorism. Nothing may justify the terrible things which occured on September 11. But one may never forget that they have certainly an explanation. It's time to take a look at all human sciences and try to understand and respect all differences!
    Fighting against terrorism is a necessity but cannot justify to put privacy and all human differences under more and more pressure.

"2. The start of the birth of a community of nations."

Yes I want it too! Particularly if that could develop in a true multicultural community like I viewed and loved it in Montréal (where I have friends) some years ago.
    But one must be careful to avoid a big and bad cultural levelling which could convert humanity into a big and stupid ant's nest!

"3. New-Yorkers, usually more self-centered and minding their own business, suddenly looking at and speaking to each other."

World's History is also the History of New Yorkers (there are no separate Histories), but of course not an exclusivity of them. As a biologist,my preferred vulgarization author is the evolutionist Stephen Jay Gould. He is a true New Yorker (now he works and lives in Boston) and he has a very wide culture and a high degree of comprehension and tolerance for all human thinkings. New Yorkers don't dream only of power and leadership and not only New Yorkers dream of that. Many european and asian businessmen are absolutely megalomaniac.

Speaking to each other and learning from each other is the very first necessity for all of us over the world!

Very friendly yours,

ivan

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

While I applaud trying to find a positive outlook (many of us continue that personal struggle) it is clearly off topic. As such, this start of an interesting discussion should really be elsewhere.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a more appropriate forum for this kind of discussion? Perhaps those interested could agree to 'meet' there and continue. Please let's leave this Xara Forum for things Xara.

Regards, Ross (Moderator hat is on [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )

Is it possible to have an another area added within the Xara section of Talk Graphics called "Rec Room" or something along those lines where Xarians can meet and chat about off topic concerns, ideas and the like?

This would leave this part of the forum free of anything but graphics ideas and questions yet still give people a place to communicate with fellow Xarians on other subjects.

Just a thought. J

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Wyccaad - I will make the point of asking our Xara Ltd. hosts if that is possible. I suspect it is. It would likely be a 'place' where users of all the talkgraphics.com's forums can drop in for discussions not 'fitting' the themes of existing forums.

I do know Xara Ltd. have a preference towards moderated forums because some moderator input can keep things from getting out of hand. Any volunteers for the role should it come to pass?

Regards, Ross

Ross is right. I knew from the beginning that this is not the place. But I still don't know where to talk about that.

CONSIDER THE TOPIC CLOSED.

What is required of a moderator, how much time does it take up, how much knowlede/experience is needed, etc?
    J

I agree with Ross idea of talking of that into another area (and I hope no misunderstanding of my English may have offended anybody; I was very careful but... for that matter I proved I couldn't be the best Moderator because of that).
    We all struggle to preserve our hope of peace, friendness and freedom.

Of course I don't know if Xara would find interesting to support that kind of area.

As Jean Guy wish it, that will be my last intervention in this topic.

With all my friendness!

ivan