Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To me, all this application jazz is interconnected. There is a convergence rather than a divergence, because you get good at one application, and the next you know, you need another one to further you artistic vision.

I'm moderating both a 3D forum and a Photoshop thread at PSG for this precise reason. You get to modeling, and all of a sudden you need an image editor and a digital camera to make the texture you need to skin the object in your scene. Conversely, there is interest on the PSG forum about modeling and that's where I started the weekly trueSpace adventures, because on more than one occasion, I've had to add an object to a scene after the picture was taken. Attached is an example: the duck was not photographed with the beer...it was under age anyway.

If we can learn together, we can go in many differnt directions. Heck, I've even used XARA instead of Photoshop for texture creation and image editing.

And Brett, if you want some clues as to how to do the Julian head transplant thing, I've got a thread open at

http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum...pic.php?t=2574

...and I'm sure a lot of the folks would be more than happy to outline a step-by-step.
    As would I...

Gare

[This message was edited by Gary David Bouton on April 14, 2003 at 18:03.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duck_Beer.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	8037  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

To me, all this application jazz is interconnected. There is a convergence rather than a divergence, because you get good at one application, and the next you know, you need another one to further you artistic vision.

I'm moderating both a 3D forum and a Photoshop thread at PSG for this precise reason. You get to modeling, and all of a sudden you need an image editor and a digital camera to make the texture you need to skin the object in your scene. Conversely, there is interest on the PSG forum about modeling and that's where I started the weekly trueSpace adventures, because on more than one occasion, I've had to add an object to a scene after the picture was taken. Attached is an example: the duck was not photographed with the beer...it was under age anyway.

If we can learn together, we can go in many differnt directions. Heck, I've even used XARA instead of Photoshop for texture creation and image editing.

And Brett, if you want some clues as to how to do the Julian head transplant thing, I've got a thread open at

http://www.photoshopgurus.info/forum...pic.php?t=2574

...and I'm sure a lot of the folks would be more than happy to outline a step-by-step.
    As would I...

Gare

[This message was edited by Gary David Bouton on April 14, 2003 at 18:03.]
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> To me, all this application jazz is interconnected. There is a convergence rather than a divergence, because you get good at one application, and the next you know, you need another one to further you artistic vision. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. And I think it's great if any of the forum members post links to check for other stuff that's available for all of us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I haven't the faintest idea what this forum wants anymore. We debate things instead of discussing them, we post images but I don't see people taking an equal amnount of time to post tutorials, and I feel that a lot of times posts are made for the sheer pleasure of self-recognition, mostly couched in negative material. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish I could contribute step-by-step tutorials, but unfortunately I am not a writer/copywriter, and my native language is kind of different ;-}.

So I have to leave this for others, and I appreciate your efforts and input. However, if there is something posted I usually can analyse the result and 're-engineer' it in my head to get an idea on how it's done. On the other hand I know there are many newbies who can't perform this task.

As most of us are creative people, designers, engineers, illustrators we have a problem to express ourselves the way that others will be able to understand what we mean (we just had a discussion on this topic in the XARA X forum).

For example Gidgit posted a few pics in wireframe mode to illustrate how he approached a task. That's something I really like.

About the endless discussions, pros and cons lets say: the most important thing is the result, not the tool(s) you use to achieve your goals.

Just a couple of weeks ago I had a discussion with a US customer about 'ideation' and what exactly he meant when using this word. I would very much like to share the process on how I do the 'ideation', but I don't have the words to describe it in full detail. However, if anyone would **ask** I would do my very best to help. Even if you are not in the product development biz it certainly would be interesting to develop 'new products', meaning new objects for sci-fi scenes, cars - you name it. It's a mental approach, they way how someone approaches and views something, how to sort out ideas, modify good ones etc. You see, it's hard for me to explain, all I can do is just a layman's language, but it may help to point into a new directions. This is something we should discuss here, not if an app features radiosity or an automated green martian in the upper left corner ;-}

I certainly could develop all my products in Cinema, but then I couldn't send CAD files to companies who will have to work with them. So I'm using 2D cad software and Xara X to develop shapes, convert them into a CAD format, and finally build my 3D stuff. This is an interaction of different apps, and you could ask: hey, what the heck is Jens talking about when presenting us a 2D CAD drawing? 2D CAD is a basis for 3D...

Anyway, have to run for the new day and try to keep my biz running,

Thumbs and heads up,

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--

Name:	dwgboard01.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	7188  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Ok, here it is in a nut shell from my point of view...

2D rocks
    3D rolls

cool design Jens... What is it? and what is the process between this design and the real world machines which chunk out the moulds/parts what have ya...?

[This message was edited by gidgit on April 15, 2003 at 04:02.]

this is the basic shape for an aluminium profile which will be extruded to beams. The wall thickness is 1 mm (geez, don't ask me to convert this into inches, I guess it's 1/25th of an inch).

It is the basis for a garden lamp and storage system. The extrude aluminium will be bent in high pressure machines to shape arcs for halogene lamps which will be inserted into the open end of the beam (see pics below).

The center is the space for the power cord. After all parts are bent or cut, they will be glued together. Yes, glued like aircrafts, not soldered or welded.

In addition there are connectors made of plastic - the dark part with the blue ring - and plastic (ABS) caps to close the ends of the beams/profiles. This is a very flexible and lightweight system which will not corrode because the material is anodized (I guess this is the expression for the process to close the surface of aluminium).

One screenshot from the Rhino drawing and one pic rendered in Rhino with a few sample applications.

The reason to leave a space in the center is simply because otherwise you wouldn't be able to glue the parts together, and it makes the bending process easier.

This kind of alumium is kind of soft, but it gains strength with the bending process.

Cheap 'n cheerful. Let me know what you think...

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--

[This message was edited by jens g.r. benthien on April 15, 2003 at 07:01.]
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

did hang for a while, here are the pics

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--

Name:	lamp-system02.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	18494  
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

the Rhno rendering

jens g.r. benthien
    designer

----------//--
    ----------//--

Name:	lamp-system01.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	11505  
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

hey greta stuff here you two...

So wierd to try and understand why they would glue things as in apposed to brazing, soldering,welding whatever...

this stuff is fascinating to me because it has values extending from your 3D creation through to real world application... where as while many times when I am boxxing out stuff, well, lets just say a measurement beyond eyesight never comes to play... but with this CAD stuff everything is rtight down to the nityy griity at a thousanths of an inch or what have ya...

another thing which always puzzled me is, in these measurements is there any tollerance... like when I build a house, throughout there will always be places whereby the tollerence for cuts is an 18 of an inch... better not take that over too long of a span though but yea, with machinings there any tolerances...

and ya Mike, this method of coating, or at least one like it, was used at a place I used to work at... we remanufactured carbulator, waterpumps and distributors... anyway, we dipped the basket of parts in and they came out all nice and golldish looking... ( I was but a teen back then, but I remember using a remote control (not wireless) to move the basket into place and raise and lower... ) now I finally have some more insight as to just how that all worked...

keep this stuff rolling... anybody know what those big machines are which take your info and then lathe it out in real world... Some three letter name is what I have in my mind... I think there is an N and C in there, maybe an R too... I keep calling them cnr machines... anybody?

till then

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Gigit - you are thinking of CNC equipment.

Tolerances are a very interesting subject (although some might find it akin to taking sleeping pills). Every assembly design has to take into account the inherent tolerances of each manufacturing process and of the assembly process itself. Things get really interesting when you add dimensional variation caused by thermal or mosture-related characteristics, wear patterns, and structural tension/compression.

As an architect I work in the construction industry. All of those above factors certainly impact on building design. To get control of them, "systems" are developed that keep designers from having to reinvent the wheel every time. For instance, masonry cavity wall design has relatively well-established practices relating to dealing with tolerances and accommodating the relative movements in the various components.

It is the introduction of new ideas for materials and assemblies that brings excitement to the design process. It can require the designer to really understand all nuances of a design in order to get things right. That challenge can be very exciting and intellectually rewarding. Design activities that result in tangible objects, be they something you can hold, a bridge, or a building -- can be very thrilling.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

no easier way huh? Like simply hitting a switch or something....hehe, naw seriously, how do you transfer things... scribe?

all cool to think about here... keep it coming you guys... very interesting