Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: real3d

Hello, is anyone familiar with real 3d ver 3.53? the british mag digit is giving the full version away in issue 35. i wonder how it compares to other 3d apps?

After doing some quick research, I think I've found it though! Made by Realsoft, it seems that Real 3D has now been re-written under the name Realsoft 3D. Looks pretty neat actually. I'm amazed that there are 3d programs out there that just seem to pop into existence! Yet, they've been around for a while. I wonder if I'll eventually have heard them all. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Ya know, I think I'm going to go ahead and compile a list of every 3d application there is (for modeling and animation). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Looks like they have a demo version for download. Don't mind if I do! Hopefully it has all the features a the full version, and just limits the saving/render ability. Guess it's time to find out.

Thanks Tom!

Well, I must admit, this application has quickly earned my respect. I can't seriously try to learn it using the demo, as it doesn't have support for pen/tablets. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Lack of tablet support is one of the reasons I asked Corel to drop me out of the Bryce 5 beta cycle. I just can't stand using mice... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Anyhow, it seems that Realsoft 3D is one of the veteren 3d applications! Well, that is, it is a re-built version of Real3D. I don't know how it's escaped my knowledge so well, but this puppy has been around for 15 years. It's childhood took place, lo and behold, on the Amiga! Woohoo! LightWave has a cousin! (LightWave was originally made for the Amiga I don't know how many years ago)...

Realsoft 3D packs a lot of power - at a reasonable price tag. Selling for $700, it has a beautiful rendering engine (64-bits PER channel), support for polygonal, particle, NURBs, and sub-division modeling, as well as a well designed interface. Though I can't say that I'll be using it (again, the lack of tablet support), I'd recommend it to anyone who's just starting up (or at least that they try it out).

Tom,

It sounds like "Realsoft" is quite a bit more advanced than "Real3D" - so I'm afraid the demo really can't help with that question. However, if you or anyone is interested in this program, download the demo! You can get a great feel for the interface and they don't limit you much at all. A great way to make a decision on which 3d application to use...

I have used the demo for Realsoft 3D. This program has alot of power, options, etc.. It needs a few more things to really become a primetime 3D app. One the manual while good, is not a reference manual. So if you want to find out who command X works you have to dig through the manual. Also some things are just hard to figure out how to do, that in other apps are quite easy.

Now for some positive info. The mailing list for Realsoft is full of very helpful people. In fact I still subscribe to it just to keep up with this program. The render does a great job (soft shadows need work), It has is own shading language (like renderman). And has a very good SDS implementation.

So for someone not wanting to spend the money for Cinema4D or Lightwave etc... Realsoft is a good choice. They are also going to release a Linux version real soon for fans of that OS.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

speaking of 3D apps - Cinema 4D XL version 7 is now available. It's awesome. Everything you can dream of comes in a small footprint on your hard drive, and tons of free plug-ins are available for download.

Caustics, radiosity, anisotropic shaders etc have been added, just to name two of the hundreds of new features and tools. OK, it needs more resources than the previous versions, but it's worth it. The good news: Cinema Net - the network renderer to build a small renderfarm - is already included.

No, I am not affiliated with Cinema / Maxon at all, just wanted to let you know the news.

For details, click here

I'm going to leave for Spain, so it might take a while before I will post a new message (have to log in via a 56 k connection there, charged at 50 cents per minute...)

When I'll be back, I'll post some samples I want to develop while being in Spain...

jens
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--