Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have just created this logo for my own company. I'm just not fully satisfied. What's wrong?

You only live once. DO IT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dutclogo.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	14107  
    Just for the fun of IT.

I have just created this logo for my own company. I'm just not fully satisfied. What's wrong?

You only live once. DO IT.
    Just for the fun of IT.

Is there another way to say down under?

Your country person, Tao Jones, had his dog digger digging a hole in the carpet and seeing the stars, for example was one way of saying down under.

Tao Jones XaraXone Featured Artist

I think the logo you posted is clever but too busy. Perhaps if you placed the text below the logo and not have it reversing out of the sides the shipping crate would work for you better.

I have a series of articles on logos, if you are interested, at Logos for the Design Challenged, and Son of the Makeover Maven that might provide a bit of inspiration.

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    oh stub me believer</a>

I'd agree with Gary that there is a lot going on (if the text was underneath, as he suggested, you'd be better off when you needed to scale the size of the logo too).

One other thing though, the perspective of the box looks a bit shaky (particularly on the left hand panel of the box). Try using the Mould tool to give you some more realistic perspective.

James

I agree with the others. The logo is very busy. Maybe you can create an icon of a cube with a map on it that stands by itself. "Downunder Trading Co." would be off to the side. Just a suggestion.

Gary, do you have any logo tutorials using Xara?

Additionally, the graduated fill suggests a lighting effect to me, which is then ignored - the back-left inside surface is incongruously bright, for one. Try changing the fills to suggest a consistent light source, maybe that'd help?

Robert (is that correct?)

All of the Logos for the Design Challenged articles are pretty generic and most were created with Xara. But even the ones created in the D application should translate into Xara without a hitch.

Gary's Logo Articles

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~garypriester">
    oh stub me believer</a>

Gary's logo articles are very good. They helped me a lot when I was working on my business card and new logo. They are worth the time to check out. They will probably give you some ideas and insight to creating an efective logo. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire