Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you had to create a text only logo, which font would you choose?? Let's say the logo is for a technical consulting firm.

If you had to create a text only logo, which font would you choose?? Let's say the logo is for a technical consulting firm.

The font is just important as any part of a logo. The font should reflect what it is advertising. If you have the means it's best to create your own font imputting as much personality into it as possible.
    This is my completely unprofessional opinion, feel free to say I'm wrong! Hope this answers the question.

Steve Newport
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

Steve, thanks for your unprofessional opinion (I guess I don't have to pay you.)

Let's say you have to pick an existing font.

This is almost like asking, what's your favorite font to use for a logo.

... know rgremill... if you are looking for free stuff - just type "fonts" in google... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

... I don't know what kind of technical consulting firm would hire you to base their company image based on a font (from an open source)... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

...unless their works match the quality of the open source fonts out there... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Risto

You can not really decide. That is up to the customer. You should use many different fonts, then present the logos to the customer and they will decide which one is best if any.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Risto, if you didn't want to play the game, why did you post? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I don't remember asking for any free stuff in my original post. The other threads must be spilling into here. I need to stop the leak.

Maybe I should have posted a suggestion first. A font I like to use is Bolster. Buyfonts.com sells it for $2...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	consultingfirm.gif 
Views:	297 
Size:	2.3 KB 
ID:	10689  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Which font to use really is a 'design decision'. The designer's role is to choose from the thousands available and propose that design to the client for approval.

I work as an architect. In our work we usually see countless ways of shaping/organizing space. As designers we have to make choices - the system used I suppose is called the 'design method'. It was once explained to me why top New York interior designers command and get astronomical fees. If the client asked their architect about what colour to paint the wall, the architect would see many workable choices. Ask that top interior designer the same question and they'd reply it *has* to be such-and-such a colour and that furthermore all the client's paintings and collections *have* to go. Some clients will pay the interior designer more fees for one weeks consultation than they paid the architect who worked with them for a year! That client *needs* the absolutist advice of the interior designer to feel comfortable.

Faced with thousands of fonts what *you* have to do is choose. If more knowledge is needed to be comfortable in your choices - buy a good book on typography or go to design school for four years. I've no doubt that you can teach yourself to be confident in such design decisions. Push yourself to understand why you like one thing more than another. Ask for criticsm of your work - and try to listen and learn from what you are hearing. Participate in forums like this where skilled designers hang out and study what's being discussed and displayed.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

You know, rgremill, most people have to pay for this kind of...

...sorry, lost my head for a moment.

Great question, and good responses. I don't think that I could asnswer a question like that based on such slim info. The actual name of the company is important, as is the location and desired or actual customer base. My first thought is to use a straight line font, san serif for the clean lines implied by such a profession. But, maybe that's what everyone else is doing. If so, such a choice would just get lost amid all the other competing companies.

You say that the logo will be "text only". Does this mean that the text won't be altered? stretched a little wider or higher? Coloured, textured or gradiated? Is it for print, web, video use or all of the above?

However, it wouldn't be a good idea to return to a potential client unarmed, so given only the information you provide, the only font choice that makes any sense would be, of course, "Hooked on Booze" .

~Dave!~
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	consulting_firm.gif 
Views:	290 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	10753  
    ~Dave!~