Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: XaraX & EPS

Since I have so often been critical of Xara's handling of the PostScript file formats, I must now report that XaraX's EPS export format now actually works pretty well! Even very complex files, with tons of transparency, etc, are rasterizible in Photoshop - 6 and turn out fine. And Illustrator 9 is also able to import fairly complex EPSs from XaraX, although transparency does not work too well, and Illustrator often screams a lot at handling all the objects - but this is Illustrator's problem. As far as imports into these Adobe apps go (and they must surely be considered the stronghold of PostScript!), it seems that XaraX's code output to EPS is - finally - quite reliable.

I have not done any actual PostScript printing from these files, so printability is still an open issue - I particularly question how well they will separate, owing to the absence of GCR/UCR controls - but there is now at least much greater file compatibility with the PS universe!

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Since I have so often been critical of Xara's handling of the PostScript file formats, I must now report that XaraX's EPS export format now actually works pretty well! Even very complex files, with tons of transparency, etc, are rasterizible in Photoshop - 6 and turn out fine. And Illustrator 9 is also able to import fairly complex EPSs from XaraX, although transparency does not work too well, and Illustrator often screams a lot at handling all the objects - but this is Illustrator's problem. As far as imports into these Adobe apps go (and they must surely be considered the stronghold of PostScript!), it seems that XaraX's code output to EPS is - finally - quite reliable.

I have not done any actual PostScript printing from these files, so printability is still an open issue - I particularly question how well they will separate, owing to the absence of GCR/UCR controls - but there is now at least much greater file compatibility with the PS universe!

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Hi Klaus
    I have just been working with such a file and it did export great to PS6.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Hello

Have you noticed a slight offset of the export to the top and to the right, when imported into Photoshop 6, rather than when placed. This results
    in a slight clipping of the image.

Ocassionaly Photoshop 6 intreprets these as CMYK.

Mike Engles

Interesting. You can see the same offset when you distill a Xara eps to a pdf.