Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bitmap sizing

Galloping Squirrel Ranch, Bend, Oregon, USA

When you fill an object with a bitmap and then drag to make it wider or shorter how do you keep the pattern or texture of the bitmap from stretching or squishing?

I'm sure I've hear a way of doing this. I've tried every key move I can think of.

Thanks
    Judi

When you fill an object with a bitmap and then drag to make it wider or shorter how do you keep the pattern or texture of the bitmap from stretching or squishing?

I'm sure I've hear a way of doing this. I've tried every key move I can think of.

Thanks
    Judi

Judi, is this what you need? From the Webxealot:

To resize or rotate a fill and maintain the aspect ratio, hold down the Shift and Control keys while dragging one of the outside control handles (the red boxes).

Mickie

...I do i like this..

1. Convert the filled shape it to editable shapes. (CTRL+SHIFT+S)
    2. Switch to shape tool and select points you want to move..
    3. Move the points.. (to be accurate use arrow keys to move points, to move them faster use CTRL+arrows)

The texture still stays the same.

Hold numeric pad minus while moving the edit handles to keep a bitmap fill at the same vertical and horizontal resolution.

While playing with this, I noticed that if you hold the shift down while using the QuickShape tool to re-size a qhickshape, you can also rotate it, i.e. temporarily change to the alternate creation method.

Regards - Sean
    Regards - Sean

I mean NODES of the shape... select them with quick shape (e.g. two nodes which makes a side of the rectangle) and then move them either with mouse or with arrows. This changes the shape but texture doesn't stretch, it stays where it was.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Mickie notes the official (help file) way. I almost always do it like Roman says. He is my hero! No other reason except I try not to clutter the noodle with too many things. I find Roman's method conceptually easy to remember - ie If you want to change the shape of the 'container' just edit the shape alone.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

If one of the corner points (nodes) of the bitmap fill is not at 90 degrees to the other then the bitmap fill is "skewed".

However, a skewed fill can't be PROPORTIONATELY scaled by dragging with the mouse. If you drag a fill point with the ctrl key only the angle of the two fill "arms" is maintained not their relative lengths or if dragged with the shift key their relative lengths are mantained but the angle of the fill arms are changed to 90 degrees.

The DPI field in the fill-tool Info Bar seems to be the only way to maintain the proportions of the skewed fill.

*** Perhaps a future version of Xara could incorporate a way to do this interacively ... ie., hold both the Ctrl and Shift keys simultaneously. ***

Sean's method works Roman and Micky I'm sorry I don't see any "red" handles and I have Selection handles, object handles and fill edit handles activated?????? So how do I get the red handles???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Judi - Here's a little cropping exercise:

A - Import a bitmap in your document.
    B - Select it and 'convert to editable shape (from the arrange menu).
    C - Use the 'shape editor tool' and drag a marquee to select both nodes on the right side of the shape. (Alternatively you could shift/click both nodes to select them).
    D - Note how the selected nodes are 'red'. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]
    E - Use the left arrow key to move those nodes. Note how the fill didn't squish. All you're doing is modifying the shape that contains the bitmap fill.
    F- Repeat as needed with the other sides of the shapes to 'crop' the bitmap.

I hope following this method will clarify how to generate those lil'red boxes - they look so cute! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>