Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In what way is your printer not capable of printing the shadows?

I can understand if it's because the black ink bleeds into the green, but if it's a software problem of not being able to process Xara's blends, bitmaps and shadows etc, try printing a Bitmap version of your artwork:

* Click File
    * Click Print
    * Click Options...
    * Click Output
    * In Print As.., select Bitmap
    * In Bitmap Resolution, select Manual and type in as high a resolution as your printer can cope with.
    * Click OK
    * Click Print
    * Cross your fingers

Daniel
    www.digitalred.com

The black version does have more punch... the question is whats doing the "punching".

The house is simply a supporting graphic. The words are the important part of this logo. The black version draws attention to the icon not to the name of the business. Logos are especially important to get right as they brand everything a company does. You don't want people that see something with the bricks and brass logo on it and remembering it as "those house guys". You want the name to be what sticks with them.

Nice work on the redesign btw.... just throwing out opinions on the options you have.

Joe

I need to decide if the Brand is to be the name of the house. I think you are right, Joe; the site is 'Bricks and Brass' not 'Black House'. I was very close to putting the black version back in!

Another 24 hours to cogitate.

Daniel; yes it's a software problem - I get a muddy green box where the shadow should be. I'll try your recommendation. Thanks.

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Taking Joe's thought further, perhaps I should use the house on www.thelondonhouse.co.uk, and replace it in Bricks and Brass with a "B&B" logo where the full name is not used?

The only problem with "B&B" is it smacks of "bed and breakfast" which (in case this is a UK-only phenomenon) is a small hotel with a grumpy landlady and greasy breakfast. (I know it is a cliche but...).

BTW those printing tips do solve it, and I get a colour much closer to the screen version. Someone will say there is a topic on this!
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bandb.gif 
Views:	312 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	1912  
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

It smacks of Bed and Breakfast to me too. I like version 793 the best. Don't make yourself too crazy over this. Go with what feels right to you.

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

and I go and read this thread, boy is my dislexia kicked in real good right now.

I meant version 973 not version 793 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

ICK [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Simon it's looking good.

I think that maybe the reason that the eye is drawn to the house part is because of the white circle. Which, possibly because it is the same colour as the Bricks and Brass logo, is competing for attention.

I like both the black house version and the green. Maybe one way to change the 'focus' would be that instead of ditching the house altogether you could use a lighter colour of the green background for the circle. If this looks a bit bland with the house the same colour as the green background you could try using a slightly darker green for the house for a little more contrast.

I hope you don't mind but I had a quick play and came up with this, see attached image. Which will give you an idea of the sort of thing I am talking about. The lighter and darker green colours could maybe do with some tweaking as I just picked the colours quite quickly. Mind you not sure how well it would print out.

Just another idea anyway.

Regards

Su
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BricksandBrass.gif 
Views:	265 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	11249  
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

I like the 973 version best, if the house must remain. The white outline version reminds me of a renovation/remodeling TV show here called "This Old House"...so, I guess because of that, it is what comes to mind. The "B&B" suggests "Bed & Breakfast" as well--also a phenomenon here--so I prefer the words "Bricks & Brass" emphasized the most in the design. Actually, I think I prefer the simplicity of just the words used as the logo---perhaps using the house design elsewhere on the page. Just a thought...
    ---As The Crow Flies!---
    Maya
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."
    -Mark Twain

Simon, go with 973. It's a winner. The result of a lot of work, trying various things and pruning. I think you've got a nice effective logo with 973. Neil

Yes, I am going with the coloured version - as it is on the site now. I thought about Su's toned version but, being a Plain-and-Simple-Simon, I prefer to stick with colour and white.

B&B has got well voted out too!

Thanks again for your help. Now I just need to finalise the exhibition design and hit my poor old printer with a few thousand...

www.bricksandbrass.co.uk
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk