Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traitors

We were here just two months ago, though nothing has changed since then.

I continue in my view that the Talkgraphics forums are not what they used to be, and that they are being spoiled by anonymous users. Having the time to moderate every single post is not the problem - allowing anonymous posters through the door is.

See http://talkgraphics.infopop.net/1/Op...516#8941953516 - I am confident it would take minutes for someone at Xara to flick the switch in order that only registered users be able to post to these forums (and that to register, you must first validate the email address you give).

Making things just a little more difficult for those wanting to barge in and poop on the party will discourage most. The minority remaining will be easily spotted, and was there to be an "Alert Moderator to this post" button beside each message - Gary, Ross and friends won't have to feel it their duty to read and reply to every thread.

It's not censorship, it's sensible moderation - and without it, I think Talkgraphics.com will only roll further downhill.

(Note that Mr "Traitors" posted here and not on Pixelparity... those new forums sensibly restrict new users in exactly the method described above).

This is my personal response to this topic and has not yet been seen by my fellow Pixelparity founders, Risto Klint and Wayne Forcier.

It's true that we've had some differences of opinion about the way these forums are run, and true that we've set up our own forums, but I'd like to stress here that we're *for* Pixelparity and not *against* TalkGraphics. While it's sad that someone has apparently felt the need to register here under a bizarre name solely to brand us 'traitors', I could quietly reply that internet communities divide and regenerate all the time, but no 'traitor' would retain links to TalkGraphics and the XaraXone from their personal art pages as I have done.

Some of the differences you'll find over at Pixelparity are that attachments are both cached (unlike the forced reloads here) and currently limited to 100K in the interests of keeping things moving for those of us still unfortunate enough to be lumbered with dial-up connections. We've also included a 'Lounge' (chit-chat forum) and 'Suggestion Box', and intend to (politely) move topics to the relevant forums if misplaced so that our members can find the most useful advice in the most suitable forum. Our ethos is clearly explained in our 'Announcements and FAQs' board and, where appropriate, in 'sticky' topics at the tops of our individual forums. Regular contributors to the forums I've frequented at TalkGraphics will surely be aware that most of the features I've just listed are things I've been requesting for a long time here.

To respond to Ross's first reply, our Xara forum has IMHO already helped (in its few posts so far) to 'spread the word', and a warm welcome will certainly be extended to anyone who chooses to join us over there! To Daniel's points about the validation of email addresses and so on, I can only add that I'm pleased he's brought this up since I'm trying not to blow our own trumpet too hard here...

Finally, I'd just like to say that we've been careful to neither promote nor deny our forums at TalkGraphics because we neither wish to be accused of spamming nor encourage the impression that we've something to hide. The starting of this topic has perhaps both fulfilled our worst fears and done us a favour by bringing things into the open, but I can assure everyone here that all those involved in the creation of Pixelparity treat ethics very seriously indeed!

Sincerely
    Peter

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?

Wayne, Peter, and Risto.

I wish you all the best of luck with your new venture. Maybe it will point out the need to make some modifications to TG that many of us have been requesting for some time. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Click to make The Xara Xone #1

<a href="http://www.gwpriester.com">
    www.gwpriester.com </a>

You are to commended for your efforts in creating this new forum. I can see no problem with having a new and additional resource for graphic related subjects. As you state Peter, many of your features within your forum would help greatly within this forum. Unfortunately many of them are out of our hands. I have bookmarked your site and will visit regularly. Best of luck with your enterprise.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I just heard about pixelparity, and I think it's great.
    It's good to know that some of the stalwarts from this forum are involved at pixelparity - thus we know we're in good hands http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I find that forums develop their own style of handling things over time - there's always room for different approaches that may suit different people.

Regards,
    Britta
    Regards,
    Britta

You can't find all the gold in the world under one piece of property! I take part in GFXartist.com, graphics.com, xaraxone.com. I like being an ambassador of Xara, seeing as how it is not a very popular program. I also like getting my work out there in the public eye while I'm still young. I also like getting criticism from a very large audience. Just as talkgraphics.com does not have all the gold on the web... neither do I. How ignorant to be totally devoted to one thing without at least having a taste of as much as you can out there. Anyway, I think it's sad that the creator of this thread hasn't responded. But I won't hold any grudges, we all do stupid things at many points in our lives... why dwell on them

Steve Newport

-My Gallery-

-Featured Artist 2002-
    Steve Newport

-www.SteveNewport.com-

I too express my best wishes regarding said new BB... Way to go folks [thumbs up]

I know I frequent quite a few BB's and have managed to come away with far more info than would have been the case just sticking to one board, regardless of how good said board is. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Happy creat'n all http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I used to work in a drug treatment center outside of Chicago. Patients were often concerned that they would see someone they knew at AA meetings. It didn't dawn on them that the other people would be there for the same reason as them, and that if their problem had progressed enough to be in a treatment center, most people they knew would probably already know they had a problem!

I could wonder what "Traitor" was doing in the other site, but who cares? Why bother? We need an icon that looks like poop.

Dave Cowles AKA Organ Donor

www.3DCaricatures.com
    Spartanburg, SC
    Dave Cowles

www.CowlesDesign.com
    Spartanburg, SC