Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Xara's Secret

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Now it's revealed ;-} I clicked a very 'old' link and arrived at a very well know place:

Gaddesden Place

They offer a fantastic vector graphics package which needs only 2 MB - imagine this!

Details at:

Artworks

Keep the good times rollin !
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Now it's revealed ;-} I clicked a very 'old' link and arrived at a very well know place:

Gaddesden Place

They offer a fantastic vector graphics package which needs only 2 MB - imagine this!

Details at:

Artworks

Keep the good times rollin !
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Now that is cool... shows you how far one can go in a few short years... Thanks for finding that link/site. It was funny. I wonder if you could still order artworks?

Jens,
    wonderful software, and I still have my copy, running on a working Acorn RISC PC, though I never actually use it these days. In the good old days I could create high-quality graphics at a speed that would leave my PC colleagues behind, and all anti-aliased, too, which nothing else could do at the time.

Came on fifteen floppies, too, though only the 1st two were the program discs. The original version had a dongle, but that was dropped in later versions. Aaahh, memories....

Mike

Mike
    I'd forgotten about the dongle! I used to have Impression as well. Pedigree shows. Thanks for the link Jens.
    Egg

P.S. Used to own a Scanlight 256 as well. A small hand scanner, crap by todays standards, but cutting edge then.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Friends of the RISC OS,

if you want to learn more about the current hardware, check this:

RISC Hardware

I mean it's still amazing that the complete OS is in a 5 MB ROM - no hassle with any installation! Compare this to any other OS installation size, except QNX Neutrino which is even smaller...

The Strong ARM is running at 1 GHz now - geez, will they still outperform the 'normal' Intel or AMD processors?

I remember the tiny ARM CPU which didn't need a cooler or fan at all, not even after torturing the machine for hours!
    --------------------//--
    --------------------//--

Hi,
    I am an ex RISC OS user and defected when things looked very grim for RISC OS. I was in need of upgrading my computer and there was no prospect of anyone continuing to produce them. How wrong I was and very often regret having deserted the "sinking ship". It is a far superior OS than windows and had a strong foothold in schools and colleges in the UK, but it lacked new software. Authors were wary of writing for it as there was too small a market.

It's great pity but no-one could match the might of Microsoft

My old RISC OS designed website is stiil in place if you are interested although I don't have access to it any more. Its at Website

Hi,

You can still buy Artworks for RISC OS.

It is now developed by MW Software.

The software recently won two awards through RISC OS news site Drobe: Best Commercial Software 2004 and its developer won Best General Contribution to the Platform.