Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara asks me to convert webp images to jpg

Xara tells me my webp images would be better compressed if converted to jpg everytime I drag a graphic in. I thought webp was better. Should I convert or not? Designer Pro+ Latest Version. Thanks

Nancy

Default Re: Xara asks me to convert webp images to jpg

That does not sound right. My understanding is Webp has a better compression ratio and is better with larger images.

In Website Properties do you have Include Webp images checked? I don't know if that would disable this message or not but it's worth a try.

I've seen that screen before but I can't replicate it now. However it doesn't make sense, webp is smaller than jpg or png.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I've seen that screen before but I can't replicate it now. However it doesn't make sense, webp is smaller than jpg or png.
    Seemingly, not always - https://developers.google.com/speed/...s_source_image.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks everyone. I do have include Webp images checked, still alerts me everytime (not a big deal). I'm redoing the website, and now all the graphics from thier vendor are in webp. I'm redoing all the gallery pages to use the pop-up image option instead of pop-up layers (simpler and easier to upate). The pop-up image width on the main image is set to 1045px. On the first gallery, I let xara convert some of the photos to jpg before inquiring here. So I have some of each. On the image tab, the quality slider is set to 85 by default for upload, should this be set at 100? Thanks again.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbird View Post
    Thanks everyone. I do have include Webp images checked, still alerts me everytime (not a big deal). I'm redoing the website, and now all the graphics from thier vendor are in webp. I'm redoing all the gallery pages to use the pop-up image option instead of pop-up layers (simpler and easier to upate). The pop-up image width on the main image is set to 1045px. On the first gallery, I let xara convert some of the photos to jpg before inquiring here. So I have some of each. On the image tab, the quality slider is set to 85 by default for upload, should this be set at 100? Thanks again.
    Nancy
    Nancy

Checked WebP images is for export only not import.
    Xara is detecting the WebPs are bigger than expected so is offering a conversion to JPEG.
    Setting 100% would make them even bigger, for little gain.

You should really use PNG as your image type. If WebP is enabled you have an output with an alpha channel (transparency). JPEG would export as WebP without and all the background inside the boxed boundary is included, making the size bigger again and useless for any Web Effects.

Use PNG/WebP for best results.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat