Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resizing images

Default Resizing images

I’ve NEVER understood this: When I want to resize an image I want to grab a handle on a side and compress the image in that direction, I’ve NEVER wanted that handle to cut off a portion of the image. Several years ago, Xara changed how this works and ever since, I’ve had problems resizing my images. EVERY time I want to make an image fit into a space I have to experiment with various settings, because I always forget what works. I almost always end up having to do this this by entering a new numerical dimension for that direction rather than grabbing a handle and compressing the image, for me the latter is a much easier way to accomplish making an image fit into the available space. I suppose there must be folks who prefer the current default, but I don’t understand why, I ALWAYS have to refigure how to make the program work the way I want, it’s frustrating and very time-consuming. Why is the program set this way? Is there some way I can return to the old default way to resize an image?

Default Re: Resizing images

try holding down the alt key as you drag - does that work ?

xara did this because they consider the majority of their users use photgraphs which they do not want distorted and would rather have cropped - that is my understanding anyway
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Another way is to turn of Smart Transform. Right click over the Lock Aspect Ratio icon (padlock) and untick Smart Transform. Best doing this prior to saving your templates.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	134841  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

xara did this because they consider the majority of their users use photgraphs which they do not want distorted and would rather have cropped - that is my understanding anyway[/QUOTE]

I've posted about this before. I understand there are workarounds, my problem is that I always forget what the best approach is and end up having to try holding down alt or unclicking smart transformation,or holding down other keys and clicking or unclicking other settings and these work SOMETIMES but not always. My problem is that I never remember what to hold/click, I'm never sure what to unclick or hold down and these solutions don't always work for me so I end up having to spend time trying different solutions and being frustrating when it seems to me that the old procedures worked every time and were a ton more intuitive. Before, When I wanted to crop an image I simply draw a rectangle to the desired size and slice it from the original image, that seems to be an easy approach that requires no more clicks than what Xara now recommends. I usually don't want my images distorted but a little change in the format doesn't present a problem BUT essentially deleting part of my image isn't acceptable for my work. I just think the old way was better and easier.

the alt key is not a workaroud - it is a new way of doing it

I would have preferred it to stay the old way too, but it has changed

I sometimes use an old version to get round stuff like that
    Nothing lasts forever...

That's why I said untick the Smart Transform and save it to your templates. That way you never have to remember anything at all
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

if he uses templates

[I don't]

ignore that I mis-read - you mean default template sorry
    Nothing lasts forever...

Spot on HD.
    Egg

I tried unclicking the Smart Transformation a while ago and saving as a template but it didn't work, HOWEVER, I tried it again and now it seems to have saved the change in my default template. However the change occurred, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by charliescoffee View Post
    I tried unclicking the Smart Transformation a while ago and saving as a template but it didn't work, HOWEVER, I tried it again and now it seems to have saved the change in my default template. However the change occurred, thank you!
    The Smart transform setting is for the application and not the template, the Save template does not include Smart transform.

Decide what you prefer to work with, set it once and forget.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat