Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Resizing images

Default Re: Resizing images

if it is an image you can make a bitmap copy, at the same resolution, and that will fix your changes

the only way to avoid the issue completely is to use an earlier version from before they were implimented
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I'm sorry but Ive tried unclicking "Smart Transformations," I've tried changing and saving the template and nothing works. I'm constantly resizing figures and it seems like I run into this problem every day. And, every day, I have to again find a solution that works. The best one is to resize a figure by entering new dimensions into the spaces using the select tool, but this is a ton more cumbersome than simply grabbing a handle and resizing - and that doesn't always work, either, besides, I don't always know the dimension in usable units, I just know I have "this" space to fill. Once again, unclicking and saving a template doesn't work - and just to be sure, I just now tried it AGAIN and once again it failed.

Apparently, I'm the only one for whom this is a problem, but it's a serious and very frustrating problem for me. I've been using Xara almost every day since Corel and it seems to me that my opinion on this counts for something. Can you tell that I'm very frustrated about this?

are you saying it is simply a resizing problem?

do you have aspect ratio lock on ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Once again, I've tried unclicking either/both the Smart Transformations and Aspect Ratio unchecked and it still doesn't simply stretch. I'm sending a copy of Xara which shows first just SM and then both unchecked AND holding down the Alt key and the results I continue to get.Smart Transformations failure.xar

Quote Originally Posted by charliescoffee View Post
    I've tried many times unchecking "Smart Transformations" and/or holding down the Alt key and neither can be depended on working reliably or at all. In my opinion, and I've been using Xara since Corel, this has to be the stupidest thing Xara designers have done. I've NEVER had to resize the way the program is now defaulting. When I want to resize, I want to change a dimension one way or another, NEVER to include unwanted stuff that existed in whatever original that I very purposely cut out of the figure I'm using. I apologize to those users for whom this change works, but I think it's junk!

How can I get rid of this stupid change? (And don't suggest unclicking "Smart Transformations" or holding down the Alt key, as neither works.)
    I think your frustrations are arising as you have not realised the results change whether you are using the Selector Tool or the Photo Tool and the Smart transform setting does have a part in this.

Smart transform was a numpty decision by Xara! Pure and simple. It assumed the user of its products never wanted to stretch or shrink text or images and that keeping the aspect ratio was paramount.
    Dragging any control about simply ensures the image is contained within the boundaries of the box. When you went large the image scaled up and at all times the centre of the image aligns with the centre of it resized box.
    Now I assume that you realise what you have is a Clipped Photo and as such you can Unclip it to recover the full image and even switch to the Fill tool and rotate, scale and translate it as you choose. To change the axes alignment, you hold down the Shift key.

First thing you need to do is use the Selector Tool and drag a middle handle. If the image scales or crops and keeps its aspect ration then you have Smart transform enabled.
    You bypass this by holding down the Alt key first then selecting a handle.
    As you are not one of Xara's miscalculated demographic, I strongly suggest you untick Smart transform and forget about it hereafter.

The second point to accept is when you switch to the Photo Tool, your dragging of a middle control will act as if Smart transform is selected.
    So you are back with a cover or contain action.

Your need is effectively a fill action so use the Selector Tool.
    If using the Photo Tool, you will need to Alt hold and then drag.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat