Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Affinity Designer has a new ***PRO*** feature!

Hey,

Can I add this to my wish list?

Affinity Designer, version 2.5, $70 U.S., no subscriptions, you buy it you own it, and one of the new features, like Illustrator, is a customizable line width. Sort of like XD's Pressure Profiles except users-defined.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pressure profile.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	134856

Can we get right on this to remain competitive? :)

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: Affinity Designer has a new ***PRO*** feature!

Something that I've been asking for years to Xara. This and a rounding corner tool.
    Marco.

If your object is a square or rectangle created with the Rectangle tool, you can double-click a corner to round it. This isn't what you're requesting, tho', is it?

My Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Marco D View Post
    Something that I've been asking for years to Xara. This and a rounding corner tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    If your object is a square or rectangle created with the Rectangle tool, you can double-click a corner to round it. This isn't what you're requesting, tho', is it?
    Gary, @Marco is probably more likely to be after the SmartShape capability of Shape 1 or 2 that allows each corner to be convex. concave, diagonal slice or box cut, with this available for any shape that has a cusp vertex. Each corner can be individually tuned.

For your OP ask about variable width lines, Xara has always had the capability of converting Line to Shape whereupon you have total control of any point along each side of this skinny snake.
    Where we miss out is being able to associate the Line control points in a one-to-one relationship with its original shape. Presently you have to Clone the shape, convert the clone to get the line and then tweak both new line and shape to keep them aligned.

I think I would be satisfied with the means to add personalised Stroke shapes.
    Presently, I create an Art brush and use that.

If desperate, I try painting with the Shape Painter tool and my graphics tablet.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

it's only in AD beta at the moment and currently that is rather flakey; but it looks good so far, as good as illustrator if not better; the line profiling tool is clunky in comparison but even that is way better than anything xara can provide

@acorn
    - there we go again [are you there ChrisM] digging the field with a teaspoon I know that work around are useful to know, but if you are sculpting lines as a matter of course, it is going to take forever...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Question for both OG and Marco: How would you use a feature such as this?

draw cartoon line art in constant weight line and then scultpt them into profiles is what I do [actually in painttool-sai] - it is very quick and it gives smoother lines than handrawn pressure sensitivity once you get the hang of it
    Nothing lasts forever...

Lightbulb Re: Affinity Designer has a new ***PRO*** feature!

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    @acorn - there we go again [are you there ChrisM] digging the field with a teaspoon I know that work around are useful to know, but if you are sculpting lines as a matter of course, it is going to take forever...
    I am sorry handrawn but if no one rarely ever mentions what's is possible in Xara, however messy, how are we to compare and decide what we really need? I appreciate your observation - "We are going to need a bigger teaspoon!", to misquote JawsTM.

If I'm at the teaspoon level, where is @ernie-f with his woodcut designs of Dürer's work - Albrecht Dürer and my passion for woodcut art?

I was setting the scene.
    What is being asked for?
    The ability to tweak and line at any point or create your own Stroke shapes?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

no need to be sorry acorn and I was not getting at you

long time ago everone said how quick xara was and how it was not bloatware; I don't see it that way any more, in fact the more I learn the more i think it maybe never was, no reason to disagree

the teaspoon analogy only works if there is a much better way of doing it that is easier and faster; I am inclined to think of ernie-f as being closer to a fine-art painter [such as dali] that sometimes uses a brush with only one hair because it gives more control of fine detail; I don't do fine detail, it is very hard to animate

both approaches work; the artist chooses
    Nothing lasts forever...

from my perspective, if I were to ask it would be both as they both have their uses...
    Nothing lasts forever...