Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Font support lost

I have a series of maps of Eastern Europe, in which many place names use the Polish barred "L" (ł). The labels are in Centaur typeface, and they have always displayed fine, until now. Today, that letter display as a square box. If I copy-and-paste to another software (Word, or Notepad, say) again it displays fine, so I know that the character is correct and that both Windows and the typeface support the letter. But Xara suddenly does not.

What can I do to fix this?

Default Re: Font support lost

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    I have a series of maps of Eastern Europe, in which many place names use the Polish barred "L" (ł). The labels are in Centaur typeface, and they have always displayed fine, until now. Today, that letter display as a square box. If I copy-and-paste to another software (Word, or Notepad, say) again it displays fine, so I know that the character is correct and that both Windows and the typeface support the letter. But Xara suddenly does not.

What can I do to fix this?
    Andy, that is a true puzzle.

I have Centaur but no L with a bar.
    I also switched the document language to Polish.

I checked with https://www.fileformat.info/info/uni...ontsupport.htm & https://www.fileformat.info/info/uni...ontsupport.htm but Centaur is not listed.

I tried https://www.fileformat.info/info/uni...rowsertest.htm and the Decimal Escape sequence. No joy either/

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you, Acorn

You mention that you "switched the document language to Polish". That sounds promising, but I do not know quite what you mean. Is language selection a thing you can do in Xara? How?

AB

Andy, I just tried with P&GDv10 and you select the Text Tool then the 'abc' icon > Polish.

Hope it works.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you for that. I wasn't aware of that feature. So it is done at a text-element level, not a document level?

Alas, it did not fix my problem : (

Thank you for that. I wasn't aware of that feature. So it is done at a text-element level, not a document level?

Alas, it did not fix my problem : (
    Andy, it's document level,it's how you get to setting it.

If you change the font to one of those in the list, does the glyph come back?

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Andy, it's document level,it's how you get to setting it.

If you change the font to one of those in the list, does the glyph come back?

Acorn
    No - I changed to Polish (it seems to be selectable separately for each text element), but it did not restore the proper appearance, even after closing and re-opening the file.

What list of fonts are you referring to? I expect changing typeface would fix it, but I have chosen Centaur (having confirmed long ago that it supported the extended characters I wanted to use) as my standard for place-names, and have used it in over 150 files. If I can find a solution other than to pick a new typeface and change it in every file I would prefer that : )

No - I changed to Polish (it seems to be selectable separately for each text element), but it did not restore the proper appearance, even after closing and re-opening the file.

What list of fonts are you referring to? I expect changing typeface would fix it, but I have chosen Centaur (having confirmed long ago that it supported the extended characters I wanted to use) as my standard for place-names, and have used it in over 150 files. If I can find a solution other than to pick a new typeface and change it in every file I would prefer that : )
    Andy, the links in Post#2.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Andy, the links in Post#2.

Acorn
    Thanks. I still wonder why it no longer works, when it has for years : (

It looks like the solution will have to be to switch to another typeface, though. Palatino Linotype looks nice.

Thanks for your help, Acorn.
    AB