Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Script Error when going Help > Check for Updates in Designer Pro 20 perpetual

As above.

The script error appears in front of the pop up that states “Sold by Xara, One-Time Payment”... Blah Blah.

Looks like an IE script error. It also states the error is in line 0 Char 0

I am on Windows 10 (Build 19045.3996) using Designer Pro 20.0.0.68161 SLx64 Nov 23 2023 (Could someone please confirm this is the latest DP20)

IE11 is not installed.

Note: I am able to log on to Account > downloads to re-download the Designer Pro 20 perpeptual installer. I am hoping that if thre is an update, then this installer will be updated)

No biggie, but is any one else getting this script error in DP20, Help > Check for Updates?

Note: I have turned off script debug errors in Internet options > advanced > Browsing.

Default Re: Script Error when going Help > Check for Updates in Designer Pro 20 perpetual

I see that buying Designer Pro 20 perpetual is a waste of money and extra worries.
    Gold version 19.

P&G 10, 11, 15; XWD Premium 11,15; XDPX 15.1; XDPX 18.5; XDPX 19; XBuilder;

Default Re: Script Error when going Help > Check for Updates in Designer Pro 20 perpetual

same versions of windows and designer pro v20 - I do not get the script error, I just get the welcome screen that is normally switched out and getting that confirms there are no updates [unless xara's policy has changed]

switching IE11 in/out makes no difference
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I would not say that it's been a complete waste of money. For instance, I do use the new table function in DP20 quite a lot. I prefer DP20’s tables than DPX19’s tables.

Also, no nag dialogue when the (now non existent) update service expires. With 19, I had to add a firewall rule to stop it (after figuring out which IP to block DPX19 from accessing).

Note: I never really made use of any of the templates from earlier versions, and yes, I do use the clip art from earlier versions that I wanted.

I guess with Xara DP20 (or any software really) YMWV

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    same versions of windows and designer pro v20 - I do not get the script error, I just get the welcome screen that is normally switched out and getting that confirms there are no updates [unless xara's policy has changed]

switching IE11 in/out makes no difference
    Thanks for checking that. Must be something at my end.... at least I still get the welcome screen...

Quote Originally Posted by Spamiky View Post
    I see that buying Designer Pro 20 perpetual is a waste of money and extra worries. Gold version 19.
    Quote Originally Posted by Promidi View Post
    I would not say that it's been a complete waste of money. For instance, I do use the new table function in DP20 quite a lot. I prefer DP20’s tables than DPX19’s tables.
    Also, no nag dialogue when the (now non existent) update service expires. With 19, I had to add a firewall rule to stop it (after figuring out which IP to block DPX19 from accessing).
    Note: I never really made use of any of the templates from earlier versions, and yes, I do use the clip art from earlier versions that I wanted.
    I guess with Xara DP20 (or any software really) YMWV
    I was going to jump in earlier as I bailed out before v19 emerged. From memory, the v19 offering and "update" was dire. I said more than once the loss of Magix's fetters was worth the move to a pure Xara delivery, particularly on the support side.

What has not been forthcoming is any engagement with Xara over v20 bug releases. Even if we knew there was a yearly cycle then I would choose that over any Magix offering.

For v20 Perpetual benefits, please add into https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...tual)-worth-it.
    For its disbenefits, do raise a new Thread or Xara may never notice.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@ Promidi

maybe, and just a thought, as a rsult of you blocking ver19 this has had an effect on ver20 in some way
    Nothing lasts forever...

@ Promidi

maybe, and just a thought, as a rsult of you blocking ver19 this has had an effect on ver20 in some way
    No, I removed that firewall rule when I uninstalled ver 19

well good luck in finding what it is..
    Nothing lasts forever...

well good luck in finding what it is..
    I finally was able to resolve this issue.

I like to tweak things, including Designer Pro 20 perpetual. Looks like I went a bit too far with that tweaking.

What I did was a complete uninstall of DP20 - including xara registry tree purge.

I then reinstalled DP20 and then exported the "XtremeProPerpetual x64" registry branch

Some of those tweaks I wanted to keep, so, before uninstalling DP20 I exporting the "XtremeProPerpetual x64" key from the registry. I also exported specific parts of the Xara configuration as well (things like selection blobs, recent files, backup locations, toolbar configuration etc)

I then imported the specific parts of the Xara configuration reg files to get back my tweaks I wanted

After doing this, the “Check for updates” no longer gave me the script error. I just got the Welcome Screen.

I was willing to tolerate the script error, as I did not effect any other part of the program. Or so I thought.

I discovered that the “Magic Erase” tool was not working properly. I selected the “Magic Erase” tool, like I have done before. The marching ants appeared. However, when I released the mouse button, the selected marquee just disappeared. Well that was not supposed to happen!

That's what got me to do uninstall, purge and re-uninstall DP20, hoping that this “Magic Erase” tool would resolve. Thankfully it did (which as may main reason)

The fixing of the script errors at update check was a bit of serendipity.

So there you have it. (Yes, I over-tweaked)

Fingers crossed problem solved.