Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Two churches two designs

Similar designs. Photos all taken by myself. Simple and I think clean designs.

Www.stmatthewstisdale.ca

Www.allsaintsmelfort.ca

Nothing spectacular but we’re adding things. Certainly a more interesting gallery layout is needed.

-Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.

Default Re: Two churches two designs

Nice work Bill.

That said, you need to add some meta data so the browser tab doesn't just say index.

Yes but 16 seconds to download on a mobile is a loooong time Bill as is the weight of the visitors data usage. A 3,000 kB and a 2,500 kB is far to big an image source to be using as your hero images.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Bill, use WebP images.
    Set the menubar to Sticky.
    Image Filename all big pictures.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

It does beg the question, why are the ready made nav bars so inefficient? Many new users would use them exclusively.
    Or can one use a ready made bar, take it apart, and adjust or eliminate some of the button states.

Bill
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Nice work Bill.

That said, you need to add some meta data so the browser tab doesn't just say index.
    Certainly trying to do that Gary, but I don’t know how. I could use a home.htm. I’ve read the meta data quite thoroughly.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by bwood View Post
    Certainly trying to do that Gary, but I don’t know how. I could use a home.htm. I’ve read the meta data quite thoroughly.
    Bill, what gary is describing is you need to add a Page Title to each page.
    in Xara, Web properties > Page > Page title.
    In the browser, you will see this in your table and also at the middle top of the browser window.
    SEO (Google) looks for this. Forget SEO and think Accessibility: a screen reader narrates the Title and if none the filename. Who wants to hear index dot htm versus Home?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

It does beg the question, why are the ready made nav bars so inefficient? Many new users would use them exclusively.
    Or can one use a ready made bar, take it apart, and adjust or eliminate some of the button states.
    Bill
    Bill, it is all around a historic choice Xara made regarding button creation where stretch buttons are used to construct menu bars. This requires a Text Line grouped to a blob so when the text grows the blob stretches.
    All one with code as well before more powerful CSS. Even the newer buttons still expect blobs and invariably end up as bitmaps.

If you open up a NavBar for editing, you can add image filenames for each blob and state and reassemble. When you then Repeat across pages, you are referencing named blobs and not hosts of numbered blobs.
    Extremely messy, which drove me to CSS NavBars - no images.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Bill, what gary is describing is you need to add a Page Title to each page.
    in Xara, Web properties > Page > Page title.
    In the browser, you will see this in your table and also at the middle top of the browser window.
    SEO (Google) looks for this. Forget SEO and think Accessibility: a screen reader narrates the Title and if none the filename. Who wants to hear index dot htm versus Home?

Acorn
    Just a dumb question Acorn. I understand changing the page title which I prefer. I do get a warning dialogue box when I do it. If the index page is labelled Home, upon upload, will Home, be still understood as the Index file and the first page of the site. Thank You.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design

Just a dumb question Acorn. I understand changing the page title which I prefer. I do get a warning dialogue box when I do it. If the index page is labelled Home, upon upload, will Home, be still understood as the Index file and the first page of the site. Thank You.
    I did not tell you to change the page filename to home. There are the Page title and the Page filename.
    Page filename is always lowercase and the part of the address in the URL to the page.
    Xara defaults the first page in a design to index.
    If you change index to home, you get a warning and the assets are then saved into a home_htm(l)_files folder instead of index_htm(l)_files. You address would then be ...\home.htm(l), which you probably do not want as you have to tell the server how to open the site when then is no index.htm(l).

What you have not been doing is adding a Page title.
    A Page title can be any text in any case toy like. It gets truncated in a browser tab but the top header of the bowser should show the full text.
    A Page title does not affect navigation but improved Accessibility, presentation and SEO.

Acorn