Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: designer 20 bug - also pro+

update - it does not happen with designer pro 18 on my laptop, which has different graphics: nvidia GeForce RTX 2060

the GeForce GTX 1070 on the desktop is over 6 years old, the oldest hardware component in the machine as it happens, been lots of changes to windows if not xara since then

to be sure I'd have to install ver19/20 on laptop, yet more round tuit....

thanks again for the help
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

UPDATE:

upgraded my graphics card [to RTX 3060], which I was going to do before too long anyway; that in itself did not fix the issue - but it did go away, ie stopped happening, when I made the following changes in the registry:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Xara\XtremePro Perpetual x64\20\Options\Screen
    IsRenderingRAMInfinte set to 0 [default is 1]
    MaxRenderingRAM set to 3145728 [default is 786432]- this may not be necessary in practice...
    SmartRenderingRAM set to 0 [default is 1]

after these changes the program ceased to crash without warning on zooming right in - sometimes got message about bitmap being too large to render, no surprise at this level as the artbrush texture is a bitmap, the program however was stable

it does mean that zoom screen redraw becomes visible on high render drawings, but that is acceptable if the alternative is to risk the program crashing out

I am still not sure of the cause of this, but the fact that it does not happen in my pro 15.1, but does in the later programs, might give someone in xara a clue
    Nothing lasts forever...

FOOTNOTE:

it does still happen after a second or two, if I zoom right in to 25,000 ish; not always, sometimes I get the bitmap too big message

thinking a conflict with a background process maybe, as it is intermittent
    Nothing lasts forever...

High handrawn, mein Freund!
    Have you try to save it under a new name and reopen it?

Hi ernie, thanks

but makes no difference unfortunately, nor does acorn's suggestion of copying everything to a new file...

I have spent enough time on this, tomorrow is another year with other things to do

I will go back to ver 15.1 as default, in which I can do 90% or more of what I do in xara and a few things I cannot in later version, such as PDF merge to single page - I don't get fussed about the UI, it's legible for me, and I spend most of the time looking at the work and use keystrokes a lot

I've reinstalled ver 20, with default registry entries and will only use when I need any new feature which, as I say,won't be often; what with this and the stack order bug, just glad I did not pay full price
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    nor does acorn's suggestion of copying everything to a new file...
    Tried again just: new blank page, paste in from a Select All > Copy: no issues but original still fails.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

no joy here - I do find sometimes it takes a while to fail - usualy a zoom pause, zoom pause, zoom pause.... sequence does it - a progam that does this sort of thing is not a program to rely on or even use wherever possible

I assume you are using pro+, ernie too, I'm using ver 20 which may make a difference

I'm fairly sure there is a machine specific aspect to this... it's worth noting that I currently have 32 inch 4k monitor set native resolution at 200% scaling, and this does not appear to happen if I reduce the xara window right down to small, but unusable size - windows scaling at 100% though makes no difference

here is a video of the crash - I forgot about the music playing, but rather appropriate I thought so I left it in, might be a tad loud for headphones...

dry4 32px test video xara pro 20.mp4
    Nothing lasts forever...

Clearly Mickey ran out of paint buckets so your brushes just dried up.

Yes, Pro+ but @Matt was quite emphatic that v20 is not that far behind so in chopping out Web Blocks there's a slight wibble in the re-integration.
    It's probably an overflow in the Bitmap generation while everything is quite dynamic. Bitmap Copies generate fine as of necessity they are at a lower resolution.

Have you pinged Xara directly?

Acorn (Sorcerer's Apprentice II)
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Clearly Mickey ran out of paint buckets so your brushes just dried up.
    yes; I think he had just noticed the brooms were back with the water buckets and had to dash off...

It's probably an overflow in the Bitmap generation while everything is quite dynamic.
    overflow occured to me, but I am only a programmer to the extent that boris johnson is a latin scholar [I even wondered if it is to do with my machine having 64GB of RAM]

Have you pinged Xara directly?
    nope

this is dear xara forum; I have brought it to their attention, if they want anything more from me they only have to ask, I am more than willing to help, but meantime I can work round it as mentioned
    Nothing lasts forever...