Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Corrupt live website

Good afternoon , and Happy new year 2024 to you all.

Not so happy for me , just made some changes to a long standing site , and after successful upload to the host, the site appears well out of wack !

NOW , i get that , that is not very informative - so i have a link to a temp hosting site to show you what has happened : https://doggy.cloud99.xyz/index.htm

The ORIGINAL Working site is : www,dogpanions.co.uk

Can anyone shed any light on what has happened ? the site was created on V19 of Web Design plus

Thank you Ian

Default Re: Corrupt live website

The working site is not showing any anomalies, so I think the issue is in your browser that shows old and new elements all mixed up. A simple Ctrl+F5 in your browser will purge the browser's cache and show you the latest version of your site.

Hi the working ( dogpanions.co.uk ) site is live and has been reverted to how it was originally ( no changes ) , i have made changes within xara and these need to be reflected within the "live' site but when uploaded look like , what you see in
    https://doggy.cloud99.xyz/index.htm

Not correctly displayed i have cleared my cache and also tried on 2 computers and an Ipad , still not displaying correctly

I have looked at both - I can see there are some differences - but 'not correctly displayed' is not helpful to me, as you have not said what it should look like...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ian, welcome to TalkGraphics.
    When you lay over an existing website, you have a collage of old and new. Your Service Provider has a server cache update policy in place so immediate changes are probably not going to happen unless you have a function to flush server cache (c.f., Cloudflare). Say, you add a new font or set a bit to be bold. The CSS for this new change will be blocked so the web page relies on the older code and if it is knocked off by one, almost all the texts goes wacko.

A design mechanism to overcome this is detailed in https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...447#post654447.
    Basically, Xara puts all assets into a folder based on the first page of your site.
    Using this approach, you force all the assets that would otherwise stick for a time to be renewed regardless.
    Currently, all your HTM pages end up pointing to stale assets until you clear browser cache (Ctrl+F5) or wait until your SP clears the server cache.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Handrawn,
    My aim , is no differences between the 2 , ( except some updated prices on the service page and some refreshed pictures).
    On my LOCAL previews the words are all as they should be , nicely presented within the main page borders ,but on the published site some words are drifting out of the borders ??
    also the NAV bar at the top should be nice blue buttons , but some have been replaced with Red "HERE" ?

Thank you Acorn,
    lm wondering how this would also affect the upload to the TEST server : https://doggy.cloud99.xyz/index.htm ?

This site in on brand new hosting ?

Quote Originally Posted by ezee View Post
    Thank you Acorn,
    lm wondering how this would also affect the upload to the TEST server : https://doggy.cloud99.xyz/index.htm ?
    This site in on brand new hosting ?
    Ian, is the Xara Preview identical to the published test site?
    Are you using a FTP program or using Xara to upload?
    Have you published more than once to the test folders?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ian, is the Xara Preview identical to the published test site?
    Are you using a FTP program or using Xara to upload?
    Have you published more than once to the test folders?

Acorn
    Hi Mate..

When i preview the site , it`s perfect - I FTP upto my Host direct from Xara - - And as for the last question , No just an initial upload.
    apologies for being dense , but i use to enjoy the relative simplicity of xara, and this is the first time i've experienced issuse..

Maybe 1 important point , the main website was created in V19 and now i`ve upgraded to the new subscription version? in the past i've not had any cross version issues.

Quote Originally Posted by ezee View Post
    Hi Mate..
    When i preview the site , it`s perfect - I FTP upto my Host direct from Xara - - And as for the last question , No just an initial upload.
    apologies for being dense , but i use to enjoy the relative simplicity of xara, and this is the first time i've experienced issuse..
    Maybe 1 important point , the main website was created in V19 and now i`ve upgraded to the new subscription version? in the past i've not had any cross version issues.
    It shouldn't matter a jot if you created the design in v19 and moved to a Plus version as the Preview is OK.
    It's more likely that you are not uploading everything.

The only difference I can think of is the default export setting for Plus is HTML. Preview will be fine. Upload will be fine but the serving back on the old server will look for index.htm and not index.html.
    I don't think you have this conflict.

Can you export from Plus to a sub-folder and the live site and check if this matches Preview?
    If so, you need to purge the old site's contents and republish from Plus into the old site's location.

Acorn