Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: My friend who just released a website builder

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Can I ask you to write a separate post detailing all the stuff that xara is missing to stand out and compete with the other platforms out there?
    behzad, short answer - no.

Xara web design has always been stateless HTML output. Simply, you can render anywhere and are not tied to a database or server.
    If you want dynamic content, you pick a Third Party Widget or roll your own.

Xara DTP is extremely primitive so if you want to leverage it you could use the free Scribus for the prose and Xara for the images.
    Xara cannot handle Book/Part/Section/Chapter/Page numbering so I use CSS Variables.
    Xara PDF export fails to handle JavaScript post-processing so I use the OS print capability.

Xara makes a good fist of bitmaps generally and if you don't grok its approach then there are heaps of free packages out there.

I appreciate the precision I can achieve with graphics and enjoy the ability to deploy SVG over bitmap for punchy, crisp website delivery.

As a trained engineer, I apply Pareto's Principle (80-20 Rule) to my design work; if I can achieve 80% of my design in Xara, I am happy.
    For the missing 20%, if I can achieve that with CSS/JS/jQuery with Xara and 80-20 that part, I am up at 96% delivery.
    For the small remainder, I just think and redesign or convince my client not to pursue that approach.

You mentioned SEO. I have always thought of this as snake oil and instead advise a client that Accessibility is the better path.
    Do read Did SEO experts ruin the internet or did Google? - The Verge.

It is possible to build a CMS with a flat text file and a little JavaScript. You don't need MySQL or other database.
    IFRAMing Hocoos > Blog works very well. Most other Blogs can be integrated but having them separate with a common colour schema is equally valid.
    eCommerce is fraught. Far better to tailor an Ecwid store, integrated or again better separate.

I build my own CSS image carousels and my own dynamic CSS buttons. Few products allow for such integrations in a fairly simple manner.
    I generally work around Xara's limitations.

So, overall, I am the wrong person to ask as I view the XDA as a tool and if I find a nail, I look for a hammer.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You are above the norm or average user. Your know how is advance in coding etc.. People like myself and newcomers will not be able to achieve much of what your doing. In business time is money and ease of use to get something done is essential, therefore when time comes I will have a look outside of what xara offers. Thank you for your insight.

is this a mirage I see before me or is it CW

'what do I want to achieve' always comes before 'which tool[s] should I use'
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

It is Crazywabbit

glad to see you are still around..
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes stop wiggling the carrot xara lol ��